Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johneagles
Visitor

Re: Make REAL $$$ with your Roku Channel!

I added MULLET. Clicked on Queensryche. First commercial was a Geico ad. Second commercial was the same Geico ad. Third commercial was for a product that I don't remember. I was then directed back to the band selection screen. I've never posted on these forums, but I went out of my way to create an account simply to tell you that your product is garbage. I will make it a point to never add anything from 8octave in the future.
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

"8ctave HD" wrote:

We'd love to hear your thoughts, Roku Heroes. If ads HAVE to happen, when would YOU like them shown?

It really does even matter since once commercials are added, 8ctave HD will be removed from my channel list. It's just that simple. I would consider paying a small fee for no commercials.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

It really does even matter since once commercials are added, 8ctave HD will be removed from my channel list. It's just that simple. I would consider paying a small fee for no commercials.

I'm pretty sure that commercials have been in 8ctave HD since March or April (8 months ago). Most viewers don't seem to mind, the channel is currently #14 out of 53 in the News & Weather category and has a 4/981 rating.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Is 4/981 good or bad?
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

4/981 = 4 stars average out of 981 reviews according to the Channel Store. The 4 stars seems to be slightly above average (fwiw, Netflix & Amazon are both 4-star channels) and the 981 reviews seems to be pretty good for a channel that's been available for less than a year and isn't on the new player configuration web page.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

ah, stars, ok.... 😉 Well done guys!
0 Kudos
betterfilms
Visitor

how about just good old fashioned sponsored by inbetween videos? sponsors are making a comeback, remember soap operas? they were called soap operas because they were sponsored by soap companies
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

"betterfilms" wrote:
how about just good old fashioned sponsored by inbetween videos? sponsors are making a comeback, remember soap operas? they were called soap operas because they were sponsored by soap companies

Gee I thought they were called soap operas, because they were so trashy you had to wash mouth out with soap after watching them.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
BlackFlagTV
Visitor

I guess it's a common mistake on the web, trying to make money out of advertising. Online ads generate a fraction of a fraction of a penny. Real money is in the real world, period. Run ads on your channel for physical goods YOU have for sale. Money will come from those goods.

sv
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I'm putting the kabosh on this thread, the title is kinda spammy and the discussion isn't really relevant to programming techniques, which is the primary purpose of this forum.

Feel free to monetize your channels with Pre/Mid/Post roll ads, there are several companies that have built profitable businesses on our platform using that model.

- Joel
0 Kudos