Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SilentbobSC
Visitor

MSO's, Free Trials, and Provisioning...

(cross-posted from General per another forum member's advice)

I've noticed that the "free trials" of Epix and other channels seem to be tied to the Roku S/N... how do MSO's handle this when they have to recycle the Roku's as part of their CPE inventory?

Background: I work for a smaller, national cable operator who is moving towards data services, and we've been promoting Roku's but some customers are reporting an inability to access the free trials when using a device that's already come back from the field.

Also, are there any plans to offer a MSO-friendly provisioning service similar to what TiVo offers via their Evolution system?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Streaming Star

Re: MSO's, Free Trials, and Provisioning...

A full factory reset will remove the token for authentication, and if you need to obtain a fresh 'free trial' you'll need to take it up with the service provider for the channel. The whole point of a time-limited free period is to prevent users from cancelling and re-signing up forever to get free service indefinately, so they make it difficult to scam more free time. I also don't think Roku ever intended for their devices to be 'rented' - that's why their roku device is $50 brand new.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"SilentbobSC" wrote:
I work for a smaller, national cable operator

Bob,

Check your User Control Panel, I sent you a private message.

- Joel
0 Kudos
SilentbobSC
Visitor

Hey Joel,

Got your message and I emailed the contact you recommended. I haven't heard back from him, but I have a feeling the answers here are what I'll need to go with.

Thanks!
0 Kudos