Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Image for example the Elizabeth Gilbert image

I am trying to change the images in the videoplayer example. I see that the url for the Elizabeth Gilbert image is at url :

http://rokudev.roku.com/rokudev/example ... ilbert.jpg

When I look at the folders I see that this image is in the artwork folder and not image yet the url referers to it in "images" within the url.

Can someone give me a tip on how to change this image to my own? I added my new SD picture to test with the dimensions 254x191, but into which folder should my new picture go? I tried the artwork folder and the image folder so I am guessing there is another page of xml or source etc that I need to make a change to, also.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
bandal
Visitor

Re: Image for example the Elizabeth Gilbert image

I would ignore the artwork folder for now and just point your url to your images directory on your site. Edit the categories xml and category leaf xml that show your url to your image and don't forget to ftp your images to the right location in your url path, then rezip and sideload your zip file. I always edit both the local copy of categories.xml and the other leaf xml's on my local PC first and then I ftp the changed files to my xml folder on my site and also ftp my new image file to my image folder on my site and it should all be there. Hope it make sense.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi bandal,

Thanks for the help.

I will take your advice and do my edits on the local pc first. I have been making some changes within the server "edit" for what changes I have been making. But, I will do on pc first because if I make a mistake it will be an easier fix than messing up the server files. I'm using a temporary server right now to test and try and learn how to make the changes needed. I have to setup my server soon so I won;t have to go back and make all the changes again to the url's and related images.

I've been working with the videoplayer example while trying to learn what to change, tweak etc. if I understand correctly, the main files that get uploaded to my server are:

Server:
1. the images
2. the xml
3. ?source files? Right now I have those on my server. Is this where they are suppose to be?

Roku Device files currently are:
1. the manifest
2. source files
3. the images I refer to in the manifest

Is this the correct procedure ? I think I uploaded files on the server that don't need to be there and possibly uploaded some to the device in the zip file that don't need to be there.

I've so far been changing the titles, description and generic items plus testing a video url that played fine. I have not changed the file names that came in the original videoplayer example. ie: just tweaked it and left file names the same. It's a little confusing when not having a background in coding. Not sure if I am suppose to leave the original file names as they are since the channel on my device is working. Or, do I change them before submitting it to Roku in the final stage? For example, I took some of the images that were in the original, changed them into my images but did not change the file name. So to give an example, one titled TED_Design is still titled as "TED_Design" but it's my image not the TED image.

Any clarification is appreciated. I think one of the difficult parts of learning to build the channel is knowing which files go to which location ie: the server vs the Roku Device.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

The only files that are needed on your server that the Roku can see is like www.server.com/roku/images and www.server.com/roku/xml and www.server.com/roku/vod
The source files or .brs files are not needed on the server, just your pc for changes and to rezip the files and sideload. You can change the original videoplayer .brs files anytime and if you need them back, just re-download the SDK again and you have a fresh copy.
For submission to a Public channel all code should point to your content. If private you can do most anything like leave the TED stuff with your content to.
When zipping the files from the pc I have the manifest file, the xml directory and images directory and source directory only. I keep all the images in the images directory on the pc for the manifest and appMain.brs pointers.
But, all other images are referenced by my xml files with the full path are stored on the server in its own images directory. In your xml directory on you PC you really only need the categories.xml, but I keep them all in my local pc directory anyway as they are small. You do need all xml files on the server though. I make edits to my xml's on my pc, then ftp the xml file up to the server.
I use a program called Snagit Editor to resize and redo images. I grab something I like and make a Logo or Banner or Image to resize. Just use the dimensions of the images and use that size from the original sample. But, if you have a different layout the images will have it's own size that is in the SDK documents.

DA
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi bandal,

Okay, so my images (except for the manifest ones), the xml and the video content on my server.

The manifest, original xml file from the sdk, the images that relate to the manifest and the manifest get zipped and put onto the device.

Disregard the artwork folder and just make my images and put them in an images directory on my server and refer to the urls of each.

I use Snagit, also. It's a great program. A big help and time saver.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

bandal,

Do you happen to know how to add multiple episodes of a show that is a category? I have a category classic tv and under it I want to have the show names and each show itself has more than one episode. Where can I find how to do this?

I will be glad when I can learn more about knowing how to write the code. It hasn't clicked yet but it will eventually.

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

I asked the same question before and get answers that are so vague I gave up. If someone wants to post a small piece of code to do this, it would be appreciated for the videoplayer example.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi bandal,

I've been away working on other projects but checking in as I begin again to work on the channel.

Figuring out how to do it as episodes is difficult. We are working on the same! Yes, if a piece of code can be shared here would certainly make it easier. I guess people are making it Top Secret...lol
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Yes, same thing. If I find a solution I will let you know a secret. Lol.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi, just sent a message to your Roku inbox.
0 Kudos