Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

MP4 file size limitation?

With an encoded, streaming mp4 file is there a 4GB size limit to play back on Roku?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: MP4 file size limitation?

Larger files should not be a problem, as long as they are encoded correctly with 64 bit values where appropriate (for example, with co64 atoms rather than stco, etc).

--Mark
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The file in question is 4.6GB, and I don't get any metadata from it with mediainfo, and it won't play in windows media player. "Windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file"
ffmpeg says the moov atom isn't found, ... perhaps just a corrupt file? We're going to re-encode a few different ways and see if anything for this plays. Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos
Arwen
Channel Surfer

You don't mention which encoder you are using.

With Handbrake, I tend to default using 32 bit MP4 files for DVD T.V. series episodes, as they
tend to be less than 1GB. (I do have a few that were 1.2GBs...) But for movies, I default to 64
bit MP4 files. Which is kind of over-kill for DVD movies when using the h.264 advanced encoder,
since that drops the file size to to at least 1/4 of the MPEG-2 source.

I did run across a problem with 64 bit MP4 files, but I can't remember where. Perhaps it was
not the encoded files themselves, but FAT-32 file system limit of 4GB maximum file size.Or
maybe it was my old WebOS tablet...
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos