Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Loop one video?

Is there a way to have a video in a category loop when it reaches the end ie: a never ending loop until remote click?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Loop one video?

Yes. Lots of channels have a "play all" option that will play the videos in a playlist without user interaction. The same techniques can be adapted to playing one video over and over.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32501
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Whenever it loops it will have to rebuffer the file. If you need a file to seamlessly loop itself, wowza can do that as a live stream that your channel can play back.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Both roVideoPlayer and (as of 4.9) roVideoScreen have a SetLoop method. I haven't used them, so I'm not positive they do exactly what you want, but you might give them a try.

--Mark
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

SetLoop(loop as Boolean) as Void
Enable/Disable the automatic replaying of the content list.
Buffers on every loop to the beginning of the content list.

If the buffering requirement can be removed, then this would be awesome.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Thanks for the replies. Looking them over.

And destruck on wowza, I am working on a couple of channels and wowza is something I have been looking at to use as simulated live stream 24/7. I'm guessing as a 24/7 stream it could get quite costly. I do need something that works in this way so I may have to take a look at it again and read through the tutorials to see what I can put together. Using a camera with an instance for live I get but using files from s3 to wowza I have not figured out at this point.

And, for one of the channels within a category I plan to use the loop for a video.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

VLC will also loop a file seamlessly - provided it is a single mp4 file. If it's a playlist then the roku will break every time it changes files in the playlist with VLC. (at least it fails every time we tried VLC with a playlist)
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi destruck,

So you are talking about having a computer running and connected to wowza and use VLC with the file? I do have an extra computer I can run if necessary. I just have to find out how to connect vlc to wowza but perhaps it sees it much like it would a camera? I read it requires the $180 AAC plugin though.

Do you know of any other way to do something similar for example...

I've tested ustream using FMLE and it played fine but perhaps on the ustream side is where the AAC plugin is in place since I don't have that yet. Have you used ustream this way? Wondering if the channels that use ustream, if they have to get approval if they already have an account..any input?

Wowza seems to be a really great service. Going to see what info I can find on setting it up with vlc.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

With the web publishing plugin for wowza, you can send streams to lots of outside third party services like UStream. Ideally, your running computer would have your source stream, and wowza, as well as your source encoder, and any other tools you have need for. That eliminates all but the exit bandwidth needed for your streaming service. Wowza has a transcoder plugin too - and you can get daily licenses if you want to try it out on a limited basis.
For the video source, like a webcam or something, you can use FFMPeg, VLC, cameras, etc etc to send to wowza. Wowza is like the Flash Media Encoder. I haven't had a need to try other options.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Thanks for the info. Didn't know about the daily license. Perhaps that will be a good way to do the live events I plan to stream.

I'll search for the web publisher plugin you mentioned.

Thanks much.
0 Kudos