Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flingsoft
Level 7

Looking for some help implementing search feature

I have my channel working well from a category/browsing perspective and I want to implement keyword search. I have the entire server side piece ready and returning the XML properly, but I am not really sure where to start on the app side.

Right now, my first screen hits the server and returns a category listing in XML (formatted as roPosterScreen) and I just want to add an additional poster to the end that people select to "Search". This would bring up a search dialogue where the input their term. This would then hit the server and return results in formatted XML just as if you selected a Category.

Our app is entirely free and this is really more about learning/understanding right now so some pointers would be really helpful. I used the SDK sample (videoplayer) as my starting point. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Looking for some help implementing search feature

i ended up doing my search i think a bit different than everyone else.

check it out in my gofighlive channel, I did my all via the keyboard screen and a call back to the DB. Others use the built in search. but I personally like the keyboard screen for the look and feel that people are more accustomed to.

i too used the video player example, its a very tough one to "learn" with, maybe the one closest to plug n play UNTIL you want to make changes to it, and because its so complex its very easy to break something very easily. I recommend lots of backing up
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Level 7

Thanks for the reply and I will check yours out. One question though, what did you mean by "built-in search"???
0 Kudos

like the netflix style of search
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Level 7

How is that built-in, doesn't that still require some amount of development effort? Just curious because while yours looks pretty simple/slick I am not sure I can implement in a timely manner.
0 Kudos

i can tell you it took me weeks to get that working, but that channel is a bit different than most channels using the video player example.

once again i dont mean its "built in" but what others use for search is different and the style that netflix uses. I didnt fool much with that model, again because of personal preference.

I think there are some examples of using the "netflix" style search here on the forums. I wish you luck i am not at home with my "work" PC's either to give you much more help. as it seems your in a bit of a rush as well.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

Take a look at this example and see if it helps get you up and running quickly... viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32518&p=202516&hilit=Search#p202518
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos