Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flingsoft
Visitor

Looking for some help implementing search feature

I have my channel working well from a category/browsing perspective and I want to implement keyword search. I have the entire server side piece ready and returning the XML properly, but I am not really sure where to start on the app side.

Right now, my first screen hits the server and returns a category listing in XML (formatted as roPosterScreen) and I just want to add an additional poster to the end that people select to "Search". This would bring up a search dialogue where the input their term. This would then hit the server and return results in formatted XML just as if you selected a Category.

Our app is entirely free and this is really more about learning/understanding right now so some pointers would be really helpful. I used the SDK sample (videoplayer) as my starting point. Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: Looking for some help implementing search feature

i ended up doing my search i think a bit different than everyone else.

check it out in my gofighlive channel, I did my all via the keyboard screen and a call back to the DB. Others use the built in search. but I personally like the keyboard screen for the look and feel that people are more accustomed to.

i too used the video player example, its a very tough one to "learn" with, maybe the one closest to plug n play UNTIL you want to make changes to it, and because its so complex its very easy to break something very easily. I recommend lots of backing up
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Thanks for the reply and I will check yours out. One question though, what did you mean by "built-in search"???
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

like the netflix style of search
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

How is that built-in, doesn't that still require some amount of development effort? Just curious because while yours looks pretty simple/slick I am not sure I can implement in a timely manner.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

i can tell you it took me weeks to get that working, but that channel is a bit different than most channels using the video player example.

once again i dont mean its "built in" but what others use for search is different and the style that netflix uses. I didnt fool much with that model, again because of personal preference.

I think there are some examples of using the "netflix" style search here on the forums. I wish you luck i am not at home with my "work" PC's either to give you much more help. as it seems your in a bit of a rush as well.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Take a look at this example and see if it helps get you up and running quickly... viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32518&p=202516&hilit=Search#p202518
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos