Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

Known Developer Issues in new 2.6 software

Hi Everyone,

As reported elsewhere, we are starting to roll out the 2.6 software (featuring the new Netflix "grid" UI). There is a known issue in this build that affects developers that I want you to know about:

• In some circumstances, there may be a problem when sideloading your application (ie uploading the zip to the developer web page). In one of the configurations, simply trying again will result in success. In another configuration, which we're still characterizing, it may require a reboot or reset to factory defaults to correct. We should have a fix for both of these released within 2 weeks (but probably much sooner)

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Patrick
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
bbefilms
Visitor

Re: Known Developer Issues in new 2.6 software

Patrick; any chance that you could also post notices to this forum as well as the general forum regarding firmware updates? I wasn't aware there was a period that we could update our units manually with this update.
Thanks
0 Kudos
campbellwang
Visitor

Also when will developers get the update? Is there a new SDK?
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

There is a new SDK as part of 2.6, we'll be updating the documentation and examples, along with announcing the developer contest in the next couple of weeks. For future firmware rollouts, I'll see about improving the process so that developers get the software prior to the official, mass market, release.
0 Kudos
MarkRoddy
Visitor

Patrick,
I seem to be stuck in the second group (can not load applications even after multiple tries). If it helps I did not observe this behavior until I uploaded a different application (I think). Am I understanding correctly that at this stage the only recourse is to do a factory reset of my box? I did a reboot by pulling the plug, but I still can lot load applications.

-Mark
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Try removing your application, and then reinstalling it.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
MarkRoddy
Visitor

Kevin,
Thanks. I've tried that repeatedly with no success. Just to confirm, using the 'delete' button from the players web page is what you meant. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I always install using the supplied makefiles and not via the web page.

-Mark
0 Kudos
BrianD
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
There is a new SDK as part of 2.6, we'll be updating the documentation and examples, along with announcing the developer contest in the next couple of weeks. For future firmware rollouts, I'll see about improving the process so that developers get the software prior to the official, mass market, release.

That would certainly help, Patrick. I just updated my box to the new software (with the new UI Netflix) and it seems to be breaking my channel. An early warning would have been helpful as (judging from the debug info my code is showing) it seems there have been some changes to the SDK.
Brian DeWitt
e. brian@thehighwaygirl
w. http://thehighwaygirl.com
t. http://twitter.com/briandewitt
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Brian, out of curiosity what about the new release broke your channel? I already mentioned in another thread how the channel is killed without any chance to do any kind of clean-up or any chance to save any state when the user presses the Home button on the remote. I wouldn't say that broke my app, but it didn't help it. Is there something else I should be looking out for?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
myasg
Visitor

pandora screen saver does not change with each song like it did before update. is this a glitch?
0 Kudos