Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Issues playing back a WMV file

It looks like the problem is in the video encoding, not the audio. The decoder is rejecting the video format. It's not immediately clear to me why, but I'll try to look into this next week.

--Mark
0 Kudos
HectorH
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
It looks like the problem is in the video encoding, not the audio. The decoder is rejecting the video format. It's not immediately clear to me why, but I'll try to look into this next week.

--Mark

Thanks Mark,

For your reference, the file was created by Expression Encoder 4 Pro (licensed version, build 1651).

Can you recommend any tools to examine the contents of WMV files? I'm referring to file format specifications.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
HectorH
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:

--Mark

I guess you didn't get a chance to look into it?

Does anybody have a channel working with WMV files? I would like to see if it's just my WMV files or a bug in the Roku box.

Thanks,

Hector
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Sorry, it was a busy week and I didn't have a chance to look at it. I've filed an internal bug report so someone will look at it.
I do know that other channels are successfully using WMV files, so I'm sure there's something about the encoding of this particular file that's incompatible with our decoder, but I don't know exactly what it is.

--Mark
0 Kudos
DDock
Visitor

I'm finding that I am having a similar issue while creating a Beta channel. My h264 720p files are working but not WMVs. Infinite retrieving and msg = An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected. |
0 Kudos
HectorH
Visitor

Any updates?
0 Kudos
HectorH
Visitor

Happy New Year!

It has been a month since this issue was reported. Are there any updates?
0 Kudos
HectorH
Visitor

Hello Roku,

Is there a chance you are going to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Hector
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

A user posted this WMV problem to me.

------------------- User --------------------------------------------
Just uploaded hirado.wmv to your incoming folder (re. http://www.chaneru.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 61&start=0)
Here's the URL where it comes from;
http://streamer2.carnation.hu/mtvod2/hirado/2011/02/17/hirado19_110217.wmv
or actually
http://streamer.carnation.hu/mtvod2/hirado/2011/02/17/hirado19_110217.wmv
as it is a server farm and streamer gets assigned to streamer 1, 2,3..etc.

Either way I enter in the browser it starts playing immediately, but when I enter it in a *.url file, the Roku attempts to stream it for a second, then nothing happens.

------------------ My Response --------------------------------------------
I created a .url with the link inserted. (A ".url" file is just a playlist for url type links.)
Roku gets a "Unsupported media format, the format is not supported or the media is corrupt.
Now the downloaded version plays fine and I put a link in a .url to the one on my disk and it plays fine.

The only thing I can think of is that Roku does multiple requests to retrieve media info. He hits the one on disk about 8 times at different offsets in the file before it starts to play. There was some mention concerning audio streams, that mp3 files work off the net but wma streams won't but they do play on a local drive.

The server they have may not do partial requests ??? or Roku just won't try it because it is on the net.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the rules concerning WMV on the net verses from a local drive ?
0 Kudos