Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkard
Visitor

Is it possible to "watermark" a video?

Hey All,

Is it possible to have a "watermark" over a video while it plays? I saw this post by a co-worker viewtopic.php?f=34&t=43578 that says that the customvideoplayer project does this, but I took a look at the project, and there is no "watermark" to speak of (or maybe I'm just not seeing it).

Has anyone ever created a watermark on a video that's playing? If so, can you share your thoughts?

Regards
Jay
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is it possible to "watermark" a video?

customvideoplayer uses roImageCanvas and roVideoPlayer to put video and a static image on the screen at the same time. It isn't a watermark, but the same principles can be used to do what you're trying to do.
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Ah, ok, I'll go back and take a look at the code now that I know it is indeed what I want to do. Thanks Chris.

Jay
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Oh, one more thing, can I make this work with the roVideoScreen?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You could re-encode the video with the watermark present. flaskmpeg does that easily, and then the watermark will be there no matter what plays it (iPhone, PC, Roku, etc etc etc)
As for rovideoscreen with an roimagecanvas on top, I haven't tried that so I don't know.
0 Kudos
jkard
Visitor

Yeah, unfortunately burning into the encode won't work as I have to watermark the video specific to the user viewing so it has to be dynamic.

Good thought though
0 Kudos
jkard
Visitor

Hey Chris, we were just wondering if this method would also work with a roVideoScreen?

Thanks!
Jay
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"jkard" wrote:
Hey Chris, we were just wondering if this method would also work with a roVideoScreen?

You can experiment with it, but I don't think so. You can lay a roImageCanvas over a roVideoScreen, but with the canvas on top, remote key presses will be caught by the canvas instead of the video screen, so trick play will not work. There may be a creative workaround, but the recommended method is roVideoPlayer.
0 Kudos