Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KICKSTony
Visitor

Is anyone using or tried Vimeo PRO?

We are just setting up our channel. We are using instantrokuchannel.com for the creation of the channel, which is working well so far. Is there something better for channel creation?

Back on topic, I'm searching around for a good and low cost CDN or hosting company to host the videos. We are a long time Vimeo "Plus" user and have always been happy. I've pulled our video's direct links by using the Download link with our Vimeo videos and they play great while they work, but obviously the links are only temporary and end up breaking after just a little while. From my understanding, Vimeo "PRO" links do not break and this benefit is included in the PRO account. Does anyone have any experience with this? A Vimeo PRO account is $200 a year for 50GB of storage and 250,000 plays (no bandwidth caps or time limits). For those who know, does this sound like a decent deal? I know Vimeo's video quality is outstanding and many of our videos are already uploaded there. It would also provide us the ability to setup a good quality browser based station as well. It's an intriguing idea...
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
ncbell
Reel Rookie

Re: Is anyone using or tried Vimeo PRO?

I use our Vimeo Pro account to feed our video content to our ROKU channel. Upgrade to PRO version is necessary to get the required link URL for the feed. Once the account is upgraded to the PRO service level, the settings page for the video and the video feed tab has a series of url links at the lower part of the screen. We use this link directly with the Videoplayer xml to post each of our videos to our channel.

This approach has worked fine for our church's channel, although I am currently exploring how I might feed content directly from Livestream.com, to avoid the several hours of time delay having to capture and reupload our videos back into VIMEO.
0 Kudos
KICKSTony
Visitor

Thanks for the reply! Does VIMEO PRO provide you with any viewing statistics so you can see which videos are being played on your Roku channel? Does it tell you how much of the videos are being played? Thanks again!
0 Kudos
ncbell
Reel Rookie

Vimeo does provide access stats by video by date. However Vimeo doesn't differentiate access from the ROKU xml associated with our channel, vs access and playback from our website (or for that matter general viewing from their own website since we encourage any access for our ministry content).

That being said, I know how many times any given content item is viewed over a specified period of time, but can't say which plays were from ROKU. Also there is no stats that I am aware of regarding whether a video item was fully or partially played (and/or how much).
0 Kudos
KICKSTony
Visitor

Thanks for the info!
0 Kudos
cdkb
Visitor

Hi,

I only want to stream it to roku, not the web. Does Vimeo have an option to restrict web users from viewing it? Thanks...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"cdkb" wrote:
Hi,

I only want to stream it to roku, not the web. Does Vimeo have an option to restrict web users from viewing it? Thanks...

Your videos are private by default with Vimeo Pro: http://vimeo.com/help/faq/pro#community_pass
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
khaliph
Visitor

Hi I'm new and want to start using Vimeo links to feed my channel. Can someone tell me the right link settings to use? should the link be set to , Only persons with this link can view the video or should it be set to anyone can see this video?

thanks 
0 Kudos
toesinthesand
Binge Watcher

"khaliph" wrote:
Hi I'm new and want to start using Vimeo links to feed my channel. Can someone tell me the right link settings to use? should the link be set to , Only persons with this link can view the video or should it be set to anyone can see this video?

thanks 

In your vimeo pro account, as of 12/18 the interface allows you to select the video you want, goto settings, under settings, down the left side is distribution. Scroll down to video file links. Then make sure it is set to "Play the video" not "download the video". From there, scroll down to the HLS version and click on the blue highlighted "copy link". That will provide you with a .m3u8 master playlist file to use as the source for your video file in your roku code to play that video. 
Hope that helps.
If were easy, everyone would do it. Problems are opportunities to learn, but there is a lot of banging your head against the wall to get there.
0 Kudos