Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

Images from my app "bleeding" into other apps

I think this is a significant issue, but my previous post on the matter didn't get any replies. Maybe that's what I get for posting on a Friday....

I am using the scenegraph components. We present a new user with a screen with some info about the channel and a partial screen preview video plays automatically (though I've tested with full screen and see the same behavior). After the user selects "sign up", the video is paused and they are placed into the roku billing flow. They are asked to provide partial user data (email).

At this point, it seems that a still frame of the preview video is moved to the very bottom of the player video stack (not the channel). From now on, whether the flow is completed or I simply press "home", that video frame appears during channel transitions. It even flashes twice in the loading screen of HBO NOW. The only way I can get it to go away is restarting. I am using an Insignia Roku 4K TV (6000X).

If it helps Roku Co debug, I've also noticed that after this "event", the loading time for my channel significantly increases. Ironically, the still frame does not show up in the loading of my channel.

I would love a workaround or at least some assurance that Roku is looking into this, since I am guessing that if I submit a build to the store like this, it will be rejected.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Images from my app "bleeding" into other apps

Can you record and share a video (e.g. YouTube) demonstrating said Event?

I am curious to see it - plus suspect Roku* will be more moved by the visual
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

I'll do so tomorrow. What's even better is if I leave the video playing, the audio can still be heard throughout the device, including the home screen.
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

Here is the workaround - video must be stopped before entering Roku billing. I was pausing it and resuming if the user went back to the previous screen. Glad I found a way to make it work, but this is still a serious issue. My video was orphaned and playing in the bottom of the screen stack in other applications.
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

Are you passing a reference of your player to another another component via an interface? This has caused us problems in the past.
We also notice that placing a video player inside a component that extends a custom component can causes this issue.
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos