Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

How to query sound effects volume setting?

For the settings screen, you can set the sound effects volume - if I was to use sounds for a posterscreen and wanted to play back a sample that matches the volume roku is using for sound effects, how can I do it?
With roAudioResource, I can set the volume from 0-100 if I record it at full volume the roku produces - but still how can I query the setting in the roku menu to know what volume it should be played back with?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: How to query sound effects volume setting?

I don't think there is a published way to do this, why not just give your users the option to set fx volume?

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

That would be the only possible solution, but making the user match the volume of sound samples to the volume setting the Roku is already using is an extra step they shouldn't need to do, and then if they change the global sound setting in the roku, then they'd need to re-calibrate the volume for the channel again. So why not just make a simple value available for query within the channel code?
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Sure, this would be great. I just meant for the immediate present, if you are trying to get a channel out the door, I think it is your only solution. Maybe they will add something like this to roDeviceInfo at some point.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
malort
Visitor

Old thread, but feel like it needs a bump 🙂 Is there any access to query for the "Menu Volume"?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Doesn't appear to be an API for this at present, but it is a very good idea, thanks for bumping.

- Joel
0 Kudos
malort
Visitor

Thanks Joel. We'd like to stay consistent with the users prefs.

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Doesn't appear to be an API for this at present, but it is a very good idea, thanks for bumping.

- Joel
0 Kudos