Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreamer2057
Channel Surfer

How to Stretch video image?

Hello! I want to stretch my video in different aspect ratio(with up & down black border) to full screen. How can i do this? Thanks!
Sincerely, Sergey Shoshin, software developer.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
ACraigo
Visitor

Re: How to Stretch video image?

If you are successful you will alienate every potential viewer that has a genetically hardwired desire to watch programming in the original aspect ratio. Actors stretched into short, fat Cartman representations will really put off most of your audience.

The group you belong to - Black Bar Haters Anonymous - are already forcing 4:3 to widescreen, so having it done through the coding of the channel is overly redundant and may result in actors taking on the shape of elongated manhole covers with eyes or Stewie Griffin.

As a personal favor to me, if you are able to make this happen, please include your cinema de widescreen favela screenshots in the channel, so when seeing them there will be no danger that I would actually install your channel.

Thanks
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, the Roku SDK doesn't support stretching video. You can zoom it using the roVideoPlayer and SetDestinationRect(), but you can't stretch it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dreamer2057
Channel Surfer

Ok, guys. I understand, video is not stretched. Many thanks.
Sincerely, Sergey Shoshin, software developer.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Unfortunately, the Roku SDK doesn't support stretching video. You can zoom it using the roVideoPlayer and SetDestinationRect(), but you can't stretch it.

Curious - what does it do if the assigned area is not a perfect match? Does it letter-box it, pillar-box it or chop the edges?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Curious - what does it do if the assigned area is not a perfect match? Does it letter-box it, pillar-box it or chop the edges?

letter-box/pillar-box.. I imagine if you go larger than the screen, it will chop the edges, but not positive.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos