Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lumpenprole
Channel Surfer

How do I provide information to the global search box?

I read the deep linking part, but I'm working for a client that wants their content searchable the same way if you search for a movie it comes up on netflix and hulu. Is that possible, or is that a special deal the major players get?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: How do I provide information to the global search box?

Its in the docs. I'm personally against using the global search history as anything you search for in a channel is public to all channels that use the same method. That being said: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roSearchHistory is the component you can use to get and set the global search history.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Joel -
i think what @lumpenprole is asking for is inclusion in Roku's "unified search", not a way to keep the history of search terms
0 Kudos
lumpenprole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Joel -
i think what @lumpenprole is asking for is inclusion in Roku's "unified search", not a way to keep the history of search terms

Yes, that.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Send an email to developer@roku.com and include a description of your channel, types of content available and any other information that would be helpful in determining if your channel would be a good candidate for inclusion in search. In most cases search inclusion requires having Tribune Media Services IDs for your content, a pretty hefty (~$2000/month) monthly subscription cost. We can onboard partners who don't have that, but it requires you provide a properly formatted metadata feed, and onboarding partners who don't have TMS IDs is likely to take longer as it is a more complex process and each non-TMS partner has to be scheduled to go live based on available time for the team to do the integration.

- Joel
0 Kudos

Is it possible to register content to the global search box for a channel that is not installed on the device?

I am thinking of a use case where my channel has movies for viewing but the user has not chosen to install the channel. When they search for content on the global search box, they would see that the content is available on a channel that has yet to be installed, they then install the channel and can watch the content.
0 Kudos