Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonB
Visitor

How do I find the developer ID of my application

I've got the following code in my test application:

videoScreen.AddHeader("x-roku-reserved-dev-id", "")

How do I find out the value of "x-roku-reserved-dev-id" ?
I could inspect the headers sent in the request on the server but I was wondering if there is an easier way.

I've seen some posts that suggest going to the installation page, clicking on Utilities, uploading the file then inspecting it will give the developer ID of the application but I'm not uploading a package file, I'm just side-loading my application as a zip file at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: How do I find the developer ID of my application

For sideloaded applications, the developer id is simply "dev".
You will generate a real (unique) developer id when you run genkey before packaging.

--Mark
0 Kudos
SimonB
Visitor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick response.

I modified my server configuration to write the value of the "x-roku-reserved-dev-id" HTTP header to the access log. I just had a look and the id is a long alphanumeric string that begins with "34c6fceca...." It doesn't appear to be set to "dev" as you suggest.

To package it, I am using the zip command to create a zip file of my application, going to the development application installer page (in my browser) and uploading the zip file there. I am running my application on a Roku LT (software version 5.1) if that helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I believe the dev ID is listed at the top of the Packager page on your Roku. It was generated when you ran genkey.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
SimonB
Visitor

At the top of the page it says, "Packager (no dev key)". I've never run genkey.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Well then your next step is to telnet to device on port 8080 and run genkey. Be sure to save the resulting output somewhere where you will not lose it.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Correction to my earlier posting: for a sideloaded channel, the developer id is the SHA-1 hash of the string "dev", not "dev" itself: "34c6fceca75e456f25e7e99531e2425c6c1de443".

--Mark
0 Kudos
SimonB
Visitor

Thanks Mark. That's the value I am seeing in the server log. Good to know. I'll run genkey and use that id from now on.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Be aware that just generating a key will not change the "dev" developer id of your sideloaded channel. The generated key is used only if you run a packaged channel, which requires you to upload the package to the Channel Store and install the channel.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jshah
Visitor

Mark,
What is the value of genkey that is used in x-roku-reserved-dev-id based on?
Is it unique by device? Or is there some algorithm that would keep the x-roku-reserved-dev-id the same no matter which Roku packaged the channel?

I ask because, we don't want the x-roku-reserved-dev-id changing because of something as simple as our having packaged the channel on a different device (and we didn't know).
Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos