Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Progress bar" component?

Is there a progress bar ro_component (or a round-about way to use the one coming with another component)?

I am considering interface to browsing through a sequence of frames - thousands of them, so a trick play would come very handy. Except those are not frames of a pre-rendered video but drawn programmatically and not known in advance, so a video file cannot be given to roVideoScreen and let it do its job. I like the progress bar that is already used in Roku, with its 1-, 2-, 3- winding speeds, play/pause indication, the works. Can i avoid (re)inventing my own wheel?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: "Progress bar" component?

Bump.
Roku* ?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

No, there is no separate progress bar component, as I'm sure your reading of the SDKDocs has already told you.

However, this, I think should be easy to implement with just a little bit of math and the DrawRect method on roScreen. I would imagine if you know the frame rate and how long the render has been going on, that you could calculate the approximate number or frames and draw the playback position as a percentage of the approximate total

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
No, there is no separate progress bar component, as I'm sure your reading of the SDKDocs has already told you.

I was not able to find such component, yes - but it might have still existed. The RTFM is not entirely clear on many things and at times to be rightly understood it needs clerics (in that sense has lot of common with teh Bible and other sacred texts). Or it might just be undocumented, like roInput, roInputEvent, roGlobal, roPlugin, roRemoteInfo...

Mostly though, I was thinking someone will come with an evil hack of the kind "oh, that's easy - you just have to play an empty video looped in roXXX underneath roScreen and listen for roYYY events when they use the remote". If i knew what, i wouldn't have asked.

Surely i can draw my own progress bar but i was hoping being able to present same look&feel as rest of Roku UI - the homely gray slider with a semi-circle on top. And if at some point RokuCo changes the UI, the L&F of what i use would have changed as well. Think of how Apple iOS 7 changed look of many components and apps "automagically" benefited from that outright, without re-building/re-publishing.
0 Kudos