Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

Does anyone have an example or flow chart or anything to point me in a direction of how I can program the player or my web server to keep track of how many times a video is played?
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"mitchstein" wrote:
Does anyone have an example or flow chart or anything to point me in a direction of how I can program the player or my web server to keep track of how many times a video is played?

IMO, the easiest way to track video starts and any other metrics you might be interested in would be to use Google Analytics. If you search the forum for "analytics" you'll find lots of useful information.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Yeah I'm looking basically jut for a page counter like deal.. No biggie, I'll figure something out..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
rlbunch
Visitor

I have a question pertaining to channel development and third party services.
Do those third party services guarantee your channel will be accepted? I and a few friends want to work on a public channel. I dont want to waste time and money on a service that ends up being a private only channel.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

There is no service you can use that will guarantee your channel be accepted. However we reject very few channels. What we do is hold publication of channels until they are brought into compliance with our guidelines and standards. If you are concerned, send an email to developer[at]roku[dot]com with a description of your channel and the content planned for your channel and we will tell you if we have an issue with it or not.

- Joel
0 Kudos
rlbunch
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
There is no service you can use that will guarantee your channel be accepted. However we reject very few channels. What we do is hold publication of channels until they are brought into compliance with our guidelines and standards. If you are concerned, send an email to developer[at]roku[dot]com with a description of your channel and the content planned for your channel and we will tell you if we have an issue with it or not.

- Joel

No one got an answer to this? <chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp>
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"rlbunch" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:

- Joel

No one got an answer to this? <chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp>

Answer to what, exactly? You quoted Joel asking you to send an email with the details. Did you send said email? If so, is that what you're asking for an answer to, or something else?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
brilesmedia
Visitor

I have uploaded a private channel and now ready to upload to a public channel. My question is in two parts: Can i just convert the private channel and upload it to the public channel so that I do not have to fill out the new public channel fields? Also, I have a unigue concept for my channel. I tried to add it to the public channel and it says that it must be unigue and says it is not available. Does that mean my private channel has to be deleted and then upload it to public since im ready to go FULL ROKU lol.Thanks
Jimmy
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"brilesmedia" wrote:
I have uploaded a private channel and now ready to upload to a public channel. My question is in two parts: Can i just convert the private channel and upload it to the public channel so that I do not have to fill out the new public channel fields? Also, I have a unigue concept for my channel. I tried to add it to the public channel and it says that it must be unigue and says it is not available. Does that mean my private channel has to be deleted and then upload it to public since im ready to go FULL ROKU lol.Thanks
Jimmy

You can't convert a private channel to a public one. You'll need to create a new public channel and copy over all of the fields (unless you can convince Roku to convert it for you). The vanity code of every channel has to be unique, so you'll either need to give your public channel a different vanity code, or change the code on your private channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Help!
I have been viewing the source appMain.BRS, just wondering is this the source that need to be revised. I have an online christian network (www.powernetwork.tv) that I am trying to load to ROKU. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.
0 Kudos