Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKSPCG
Visitor

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

Thank you than you, and again thank you. I was able to open up the telnet on my lab top but not on my PC with the tower. Never the less, I found it with you instructions.
Now the zip file I have read the section that the website you refer me to go to but still do not understand how to create a zip application.
Are you saying that I create the zip application as follows:
file.zip>manifest<
file.zip>source<
file.zip>image<
do I put the above words in a compressed zip file on my desk top?, or a file that I create on my computer?
Then after creating this zip file, I would/should be able to locate the application zip file on my development machine from the Browser button. Then I would see the full path .... to be able to install & deploy it?? correct. reference 7.2 Application Installer Page item 3 & 4...
Arch Bishop Marcia Karen Abrams, MD
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

Even the government needs a webpage to explain this.
https://www.nebraska.gov/NREC/real/realzipfiles.html
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

😄 Thank you, I have now downloaded the Win Zip on to my computer, I have the telnet console set up, and I have downloaded cygwin.
My next question still deal with section 7.2 for further understanding:
The word application, what is that?? How do I create the applications that would go into the .zip file, I already have several films that I have downloaded to my website waiting to put on the new TV channel that I am building. Just not sure what you mean by ... navigate to the location of the application zip file on your development machine. I know how to get to the new zip file, but I think that I need to load something in the zip file first before I install it. Or I am to install the zip file into the browser as is??? I quest that this is two questions.

The third question is:
Regarding the telnet console is this the area where I place the codes to build the channel?
Again thank you in advance, I am so grateful that you have set up this forum I think I want to work with you guys in the forum, once my channel is built. Because, my experience with you in the forum, well, 😮 this has been so helpful to me.
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

I finally got into the telnet. I also my genkey password & ID.
My question deals with the .zip?

Also, after getting the genkey, when I went to the Development Application Installer page, it still showed "No Development Application Installed." .

Final question, I have some embedded code for some video that I have created, do I put the embedded code into a .zip file then load it into Browser?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If you download and unzip the roku SDK from the developer page on owner.roku.com, browse to the examples\source folder and open any of the examples, for example videoplayer you'll see a structure like:

videoplayer
/images
/source

with manifest and usually Makefile files in the top folder.

On a pc you would open that folder, right click and select "send to zip" then use your web browser to browse to the device, then select the zip file and upload it to the player. Then, you would package the zip file on the player with your devID password.

The content in the source folder is the program that you will used to contact your server, retrieve and play video.

- Joel
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

I am getting so frustrated... right now, I pay someone to talk with me which will enable to build this channel. Please help.
I don't want to hire a developer. I want to stay as the developer but need a mentor. Do you have anyone available that can assist.
Thanks a million...
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

First of all, break your questions down into smaller pieces and post them on the forum, not in this thread which few people will look at.

To try to give you an overview of the way development typically works:

1. you have video content stored on a server.
2. you create an xml file containing links to the content items and associated descriptions on your server.
3a. you build a roku channel using the Brightscript language to convert that xml into items to display on the screen.
**or**
3b. you create your xml file in a way that will work with an existing template in the SDK, most choose the Videoplayer example and use the xml found within that channel as a starting point.
4. you modify the graphics stored in the /images folder of your project to represent your "brand"
5. you zip up the contents of this folder and upload it to your roku to test
6. if it is all working correctly, you then package the file on your Roku with your Developer ID password. If it is not working, you figure out why (ask questions on the forum), make changes, and then upload it again to test.

- Joel
0 Kudos
MKSPCG
Visitor

Thanks Joel,

I will work on these steps. Yesterday, I was able to zip file and it was received I just have to create the manifest. I'll let you know how it comes out.
You guys are the greatest. I sincerely appreciate you all. I know I can do this. I get back in the forum later on today.
0 Kudos

Every time I mess with the examples and re-zip them. It will not install on my roku. I get a "no manifest found" error even though there is one there. Any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

if your project is in /Users/MakProductions/Desktop/RokuSDK4.1/examples/source/myproject then generally speaking you want to zip from within the myproject folder, on both PC and Mac - open the project folder, select all, send to zip.

- Joel
0 Kudos