Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: How Do I Start Developing a Channel?

"tensen" wrote:
If you look through the posts on this forum there is a bit of code given within. Unfortunately I think there are so few developers that there doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation yet.

That's a very odd comment coming from someone who joined the forums less than a week ago...

"ken2400" wrote:
Is there a site that developers can post code to?
This would be the whole channel or parts of there code?
I am looking for more that the examples that come with the SDK.
Thanks

You might find some worthwhile examples in the librokudev library that the GandK guys put together: https://github.com/rokudev
If you can provide some details on what exactly you're wanting examples of, we can probably provide some sample code to get you started.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"tensen" wrote:
If you look through the posts on this forum there is a bit of code given within. Unfortunately I think there are so few developers that there doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation yet.

That's a very odd comment coming from someone who joined the forums less than a week ago...

Just because I joined and started posting on the forums a little over a week ago doesn't mean I haven't been reading the forums for quite some time.

Then again my comment may mean there are a lot of other developers not posting on the forums.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"tensen" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"tensen" wrote:

Just because I joined and started posting on the forums a little over a week ago doesn't mean I haven't been reading the forums for quite some time.
Then again my comment may mean there are a lot of other developers not posting on the forums.

Sorry.. my point was that it was odd to post something that could be read as insulting to the active developers (i.e. "doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation"), when you've only got a week old account, and nothing to establish that you have any actual knowledge of the platform. I personally think there's been a tremendous amount of innovation given the tools we have to work with (see: KidPaint, the Hogo games, MainSqueeze, etc).
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:

Sorry.. my point was that it was odd to post something that could be read as insulting to the active developers (i.e. "doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation"), when you've only got a week old account, and nothing to establish that you have any actual knowledge of the platform. I personally think there's been a tremendous amount of innovation given the tools we have to work with (see: KidPaint, the Hogo games, MainSqueeze, etc).

Oh, sorry about that. Was not the intention of the post. One of those times where I can't keep my keystrokes from putting my foot in my mouth.
I apologize to anyone that may have taken offense.

It was more that there aren't a huge number of developers working on things. I see the most amount of the visible private channel work from a handful of people. (one of them being you.) But in comparison to most other open source communities you expect to be seeing hundreds if not thousands of developers considering how many roku boxes there are out there. Now there may be a large number of people working on public channels that we just aren't seeing until they show up in the channel store, but I'm not seeing those people posting and sharing code in discussions. And where there is code posted there is a discussion involved, which is probably better than just seeing code posted since you have a lot more context to work with.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

There wasn't a huge incentive for most developers prior to the ability to charge for channels through the store. Most of the niche areas where you could charge were taken (Chaneru and the like), or required your own content library (the numerous pay channels available). It's anecdotal, but I believe I've seen (relatively) a lot more new developers since the ability to charge for channels through the Channel Store.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

There also seems to be a fairly sizable (relatively speaking) community of developers that just don't frequent the forums. I can count on two hands the number of public channels that were developed by developers active in this forum. It may just be that those that make a living at it don't see much value in sharing...
0 Kudos

I have been looking in to starting a ROKU channel for months, but without coding experience (other than html, etc) I have not been able to figure things out. It was hard enough getting videos to stream from my computer to my ROKU box, so I don't think I am up to this challenge. Also without a really simple to follow step by step or tutorial with all needed codes, etc... I think it might take me a year to figure all of this out.

Hats off to all you excellent and proactive developers out there!

If you need any help with internet marketing or if you need to get your name or company out there so it is easy to be found, please hit me up and hopefully we can exchange services!

Also, if anyone would be kind enough to walk me through the steps, kind of like a mentoring program, I would definitely pay for this service. Maybe we can even make and market a product for how to get your roku channels online!

Please contact me if interested, my head is still spinning from reading the forum for the past couple hours.

Bryan Knowlton
858-232-3348
bryanknowlton@gmail.com
0 Kudos
PaulDavis
Visitor

"jimimobileqe" wrote:
I have this same issue. I have a developer account (and a premium dev account), login, try to got to .../Developer/DevHome, and end up in the same infinite loop. What am I missing?

Jim

I have this issue also. All of the advice (including that from tech support) is to keep doing the same thing (that doesn't work).
I'm curious, why would anyone expect the result to be different when performing the same actions?

I wonder why they can't simply post the URL since they're obviously not going to fix the site.

Is there a chance someone could just post the URL to the SDK?
thx
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Please PM me with your email address (for your developer account). And to confirm, if you go to https://owner.roku.com/Developer/DevHome you don't get the developer site?
0 Kudos
PaulDavis
Visitor

Follow-up in case others run into the issue.

After creating the developer account. Click the register for developer account again and follow the steps.
All the SDK stuff will show up after that.

woohoo
0 Kudos