Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Re: Hosting for video files

"bwschulz" wrote:
Hello, yes, I have found that also to be true that AWS S3 has served us reliably too - though Direct Publisher conversion shut down our Grande Projecte, pray thee only temporarily so that reliability of service hasn't been tested yet at Roku. So check this out - What I thought was interesting to note, after reading many posts about trouble with reading the JSON config files or retrieving content or getting brand assets, or rather failing to do all those tasks -- that right here, in this forum, for my posting profile, I found the "offsite Avatar option" in account settings which I tried to link to a well before posted image of your truly discouraged author, and that fetch failed in error from S3. I am sure it is an easy explanation to work around the problem but I find it an unfortunate timing that the Roku forum account profile photo replace feature failed to retrieve a simple 146x146pxl jpg from my open non locked down non intensive permissions guarded plain old image file bucket at S3 - so my avatar image remains poignantly empty.. the schulz 

That could be because it is breaking the cross domain origin policy. You may need to add the site name/s of who can cross post from your account. Usually with a crossdomain.xml and it would look something like this.
"Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *" // this allows all sites
"Access-Control-Allow-Origin: domainA.com domainB.com" // this allows just the site/s named.
0 Kudos
Blackhawk
Roku Guru

Will Livestream work on a Roku channel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Blackhawk - since there is an official Livestream channel for Roku, I'd say yes.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/29216/livestream
0 Kudos
Blackhawk
Roku Guru

What URL i should use for Livestream? I tried the URL from the share panel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If that doesn't work, Livestream might know what they need to play streams on Roku...
0 Kudos
stubbstarbuck
Binge Watcher

"brentonhouse" wrote:
I understand that you can use Vimeo (and possibly YouTube) for hosting videos on Roku, but I don't know the endpoints that you would use for either of these hosts.  

Does anyone else here use Vimeo to host a video for a Roku Channel and if so, what endpoints are you using?

Vimeo Pro provides an HLS link that works very well. We've been using that for a few months without a hitch. It's very easy to integrate.
0 Kudos
stubbstarbuck
Binge Watcher

"stubbstarbuck" wrote:
"brentonhouse" wrote:
I understand that you can use Vimeo (and possibly YouTube) for hosting videos on Roku, but I don't know the endpoints that you would use for either of these hosts.  

Does anyone else here use Vimeo to host a video for a Roku Channel and if so, what endpoints are you using?

Vimeo Pro provides an HLS link that works very well. We've been using that for a few months without a hitch. It's very easy to integrate.

Here's working code for you for an episode object.

"id": "someuniqueidentifier",
              "title": "The title of the video",
              "content": {
                "dateAdded": "2017-04-15T22:21:37+00:05",
                "videos": [
                  {
                    "url": "https://player.vimeo.com/external/alongstringofcharacters",
                    "quality": "HD",
                    "videoType": "HLS"
                  }
                ],
                "duration": 3016
              },
              "thumbnail": "https://domain.com/image.jpg",
              "episodeNumber": 2,
              "shortDescription": "Basically the title. About this length to display well.",
              "releaseDate": "2017-04-15T22:21:37+00:05"
            }

Vimeo Pro is something like $150/yr. Once you open the video file in Vimeo, at the bottom of the Video navigation is a bunch of fixed external links. You can use the SD, HD, or HLS link in Roku.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

I have been running servers for quite sometime and when serving video files, it can get out of control fast! 
There are many places that off dedicated servers, which means you can full throttle your connection, max it out all day long and you are not subject to price changes.
You can probably get a 4tb drive with unlimited bandwidth on a 100mbit line with a 3gbit backbone for around $100 a month. Basically is it your own computer running a full OS not just a cpanel of some sort. 

Just Google, cheap dedicated servers.
0 Kudos
bobrdobbs
Visitor

I was considering using BackBlaze as my host. They have a robust structure and they're dirt cheap. Anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't consider them?
0 Kudos

I've created my channel but the videos that I uploaded don't play. I've tried them under HLLS and under mp4. I pulled them from youtube. what am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos