Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bumpus
Visitor

Re: Home video streaming

I'm having exactly the same troubles that jhanson is reporting and I can make a sample video available to someone who can help troubleshoot why this happens.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Its out of Developed, so I don't think it will work with Windows vista or 7.

Using OSX Here.
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

"bcl" wrote:
"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Using OSX Here.

All you have to do is...

Install Windows 7 Pro vitalized on your Mac.
Then run the XP Vitalization copy that comes with Windows 7 Pro (and higher)
Download and Install DVD Decryption Smiley LOL

Just joking of course. Any way. Best of luck.

I too would like to stream my DVD because I like the best quality. And as you know tranencoding loses quality. You could use Handbrake (which I believed runs on a mac) to rip your "unprotected" DVD (of DVD that somehow becomes unprotected, for what ever reason). I think the new version even supports 5.1 surround sound for when the roku open that option to everyone.

DRM is very bad for business. :evil:
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

I converted a DVD to h.264. I used DVDFab to do this.

The weird thing is I used dvdfab v6 and Roku would play about 30 sec and buffer for a long time then play 30 sec. and rebuffer.

I then used DVDFab v5 and reencoded it with default setting and everything plays fine. So, the question is what is the best bitrate setting for h.264 encoding. I think that is the right question..

When I look at the properties of these files, here's the data

DVDFab v6

Video

Frame width - 720
Frame Height - 400
data rate 1348 kbps
total bitrate - 1538kbps
frame rate - 23 frames/sec

Audio
Bit rate - 190 kbps
Channels 6
Audio Sample rate 48khz

DVDFab v5

Video
Frame Width - 704
Frame Height - 296
Data Rate - 832 kbps
Total Bitrate - 895kbps
Frame Rate - 23 frame/sec

Audio
Bit Rate - 64 kbps
Channels - 2
Audio Sample rate - 48 khz

Obviously the answer is somewhere between the 2 setting, but I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions..

Thank you

EDIT -- I have done some experimenting and it doesn't look like my issue is with the bitrate, but its actually with the audio... If I encode with 6 channel (5.1) then I have issues otherwise it plays fine regardless of the bitrate.
0 Kudos
Rhinehart
Visitor

"bcl" wrote:
"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Using OSX Here.

Have you taken a look at Mac The Ripper? I used to use it with great results to do a rip, but it seems like free development on it has stalled. RipIt looks like a nice alternative as well. After the ripping it's either handbrake or MPEG Streamclip for the encoding, depending on my needs.
0 Kudos
zwei
Visitor

There is also another tool for OS X called Fairmount

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27162/fairmount

I use handbrake or RipIt myself depending on my needs …the free version of MTR is so outdated it doesn't work half the time. Version 4 of MTR just came out …but you have to contact the developer directly (with a donation) and he makes a special key to unlock it. A very weird business model.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

I hope its ok to post this question on this thread.. but, what is the largest mp4 file that I can reference in the http stream? It looks like 2GB but I wanted to see if that is correct...

I wanted to keep the bitrate high so I created a file that is 5GB in size. When I put the url for it in the simplevideo example, it doesn't come up.. I put that url in my browser and it also doesn't come up. But if I reference a 1.6GB file everything seems fine...

Assuming that 2GB is the limit, Is there a way around what ever the base limit is aside from parsing the file into smaller mp4s?

thank you
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The Roku box doesn't impose any limit on the size of MP4 files. We have played files larger than 4 GB. If the URL doesn't work in your browser either, then most likely your HTTP server is having a problem with large files. What server are you using?

--Mark
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

I am using an apache server.. I think its version 2.0.54.. Is there some parm on config file that I need to set to allow it to go over 2gb limit? I can see the large files in Windows file share... It just looks like when I try to get to it via http it doesn't come up.

Thank you for the help...

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
The Roku box doesn't impose any limit on the size of MP4 files. We have played files larger than 4 GB. If the URL doesn't work in your browser either, then most likely your HTTP server is having a problem with large files. What server are you using?

--Mark
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

Upgrade to Apache 2.2, 2.0 has a 2G limit.
0 Kudos