Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Home video streaming

I'm having exactly the same troubles that jhanson is reporting and I can make a sample video available to someone who can help troubleshoot why this happens.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Its out of Developed, so I don't think it will work with Windows vista or 7.

Using OSX Here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"bcl" wrote:
"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Using OSX Here.

All you have to do is...

Install Windows 7 Pro vitalized on your Mac.
Then run the XP Vitalization copy that comes with Windows 7 Pro (and higher)
Download and Install DVD Decryption Smiley LOL

Just joking of course. Any way. Best of luck.

I too would like to stream my DVD because I like the best quality. And as you know tranencoding loses quality. You could use Handbrake (which I believed runs on a mac) to rip your "unprotected" DVD (of DVD that somehow becomes unprotected, for what ever reason). I think the new version even supports 5.1 surround sound for when the roku open that option to everyone.

DRM is very bad for business. :evil:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I converted a DVD to h.264. I used DVDFab to do this.

The weird thing is I used dvdfab v6 and Roku would play about 30 sec and buffer for a long time then play 30 sec. and rebuffer.

I then used DVDFab v5 and reencoded it with default setting and everything plays fine. So, the question is what is the best bitrate setting for h.264 encoding. I think that is the right question..

When I look at the properties of these files, here's the data

DVDFab v6

Video

Frame width - 720
Frame Height - 400
data rate 1348 kbps
total bitrate - 1538kbps
frame rate - 23 frames/sec

Audio
Bit rate - 190 kbps
Channels 6
Audio Sample rate 48khz

DVDFab v5

Video
Frame Width - 704
Frame Height - 296
Data Rate - 832 kbps
Total Bitrate - 895kbps
Frame Rate - 23 frame/sec

Audio
Bit Rate - 64 kbps
Channels - 2
Audio Sample rate - 48 khz

Obviously the answer is somewhere between the 2 setting, but I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions..

Thank you

EDIT -- I have done some experimenting and it doesn't look like my issue is with the bitrate, but its actually with the audio... If I encode with 6 channel (5.1) then I have issues otherwise it plays fine regardless of the bitrate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"bcl" wrote:
"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Try DVD Decrypt

Using OSX Here.

Have you taken a look at Mac The Ripper? I used to use it with great results to do a rip, but it seems like free development on it has stalled. RipIt looks like a nice alternative as well. After the ripping it's either handbrake or MPEG Streamclip for the encoding, depending on my needs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

There is also another tool for OS X called Fairmount

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27162/fairmount

I use handbrake or RipIt myself depending on my needs …the free version of MTR is so outdated it doesn't work half the time. Version 4 of MTR just came out …but you have to contact the developer directly (with a donation) and he makes a special key to unlock it. A very weird business model.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I hope its ok to post this question on this thread.. but, what is the largest mp4 file that I can reference in the http stream? It looks like 2GB but I wanted to see if that is correct...

I wanted to keep the bitrate high so I created a file that is 5GB in size. When I put the url for it in the simplevideo example, it doesn't come up.. I put that url in my browser and it also doesn't come up. But if I reference a 1.6GB file everything seems fine...

Assuming that 2GB is the limit, Is there a way around what ever the base limit is aside from parsing the file into smaller mp4s?

thank you
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The Roku box doesn't impose any limit on the size of MP4 files. We have played files larger than 4 GB. If the URL doesn't work in your browser either, then most likely your HTTP server is having a problem with large files. What server are you using?

--Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am using an apache server.. I think its version 2.0.54.. Is there some parm on config file that I need to set to allow it to go over 2gb limit? I can see the large files in Windows file share... It just looks like when I try to get to it via http it doesn't come up.

Thank you for the help...

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
The Roku box doesn't impose any limit on the size of MP4 files. We have played files larger than 4 GB. If the URL doesn't work in your browser either, then most likely your HTTP server is having a problem with large files. What server are you using?

--Mark
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Upgrade to Apache 2.2, 2.0 has a 2G limit.
0 Kudos