Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcl
Channel Surfer

Re: Home video streaming

I just switched to using lighttpd instead of Apache and it is still happening, so it is the file, not the server (I didn't expect it to be, but just to be sure).

What are you using to make your mp4 files? Handbrake?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

If the file is on a public server, I can take a look at it. Send me a PM with the URL and the time at which the problem occurs.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

My file isn't on a public server, unfortunately.

As for what I'm using to encode, I'm using Handbrake to make an M4V file. I used the AppleTV preset, and then ran it through FFMPEG to strip out the secondary audio stream.

I'm trying some other encoding settings now to see if they make a difference.
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

I might have found something. In Handbrake, I made a custom preset in which I checked "Web optimized", set the average bitrate to 1500 (instead of constant quality), set the audio to stereo AAC 48khz 192kbps, unchecked "create chapter markers", and set anamorphic mode to none. The movie I encoded with this did not rebuffer after the 1 hour mark. I am now trying to re-encode the same movie that was giving me trouble earlier with these settings to see if they make a difference.
0 Kudos
danstl
Visitor

what is your original source, are you ripping directly from a DVD with handbrake? If so I would try using a different program to extract the VOBs and combine them, and then just use handbrake to convert the VOBs...
Model: 2050X - wired
S/N: J0A07F000104
ISP: At&t 12Mb (primary) -- Charter 20Mb (secondary)
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

"danstl" wrote:
what is your original source, are you ripping directly from a DVD with handbrake? If so I would try using a different program to extract the VOBs and combine them, and then just use handbrake to convert the VOBs...

Do you have any suggestions for other programs? I'm using an older version of Handbrake with libdvdcss included in it (I haven't had much luck with the newer versions).
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

"jhanson" wrote:
I might have found something. In Handbrake, I made a custom preset in which I checked "Web optimized", set the average bitrate to 1500 (instead of constant quality), set the audio to stereo AAC 48khz 192kbps, unchecked "create chapter markers", and set anamorphic mode to none. The movie I encoded with this did not rebuffer after the 1 hour mark. I am now trying to re-encode the same movie that was giving me trouble earlier with these settings to see if they make a difference.

Ok, I'm re-trying my rip with the parameters I posted above without the -m and -O (markers and web optimized) options. When I added -O mp4info could no longer read the details of the mp4.

I'll post results as soon as the rip is finished (hmm, time for a quad core system...)

Brian
0 Kudos
jhanson
Visitor

Well, the settings didn't help with the other videos. It still rebuffers. Per the docs, the video should work, and it works on every other device I've tried it on, so I think I'm just going to forget about it. Trying to get this to work was a fun little diversion, but I don't care enough to spend any more time on it right now.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

"jhanson" wrote:
Well, the settings didn't help with the other videos. It still rebuffers. Per the docs, the video should work, and it works on every other device I've tried it on, so I think I'm just going to forget about it. Trying to get this to work was a fun little diversion, but I don't care enough to spend any more time on it right now.

Same results here. If I can figure out how to rip the VOB and combine it into one before doing the encode I will try that.

I think what we need from Roku is some better debug info from the player when it decides to rebuffer.
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

Try DVD Decrypt

Its out of Developed, so I don't think it will work with Windows vista or 7.
0 Kudos