Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scaper12123
Visitor

Help with using roSGNode?

EDIT: My problem has changed slightly, but it still involves roSGNodes so I'll just append this post with the issue I'm having. If anybody can help me I would very much appreciate it! I'm having trouble understanding how to add fields to the roSGNode when I create them, and how to make them the focused object on the screen. The following is my code with my best guess as to how it's done. I would appreciate it if somebody could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong (when I attempt to create a node, I get an error in the console saying "Failed to create roSGNode with type Label":
'live is an associative array with the following values:
' start = time which the stream should start
' end = predicted end time for the livestream
' current = a roDateTime object to represent the system time (in UTC)

'stream is just an associative array with one member: stream
' stream contains the fields needed to create the livestream,
' when used as a field in VideoPlayer()

sub CountdownDisplay(live as object, stream as object)
'create initial objects and show scene, so node can be created later
screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
screen.SetMessagePort(port)
screen.Show()

'obtain the time left for initial display of countdown timer
secondsLeft = live.start.AsSeconds() - live.current.AsSeconds()

'here I need to do something to create a visual countdown display
countdown = CreateObject("roSGNode", "Label") 'because this fails to execute, the following three lines crash the program
countdown.vertAlign = center
countdown.horizAligin = center
countdown.text = CountdownTime(secondsLeft) 'CountdownTime() returns a string with format hh:mm:ss

while true
msg = wait(1000, port) 'check for updates every second
if msg = Invalid
live.current.Mark() 'mark the time to ensure it's up to date

secondsLeft = live.start.AsSeconds() - live.current.AsSeconds() 'update secondsLeft
if secondsLeft > 0
'here I need to modify the countdown to display an updated time
countdown.text = CountdownTime(secondsLeft)
else
'assume wait time is over, get rid of the countdown screen, and go to the livestream
screen.Close()
VideoPlayer(stream)
end if
else if type(msg) = "roSGScreenEvent"
if msg.IsScreenClosed()
exit while
end if
end if
end while

return
end sub

---------------------

I'm trying to use roSGNode to make a label in order to provide a user with some information, but my attempts to learn how to use roSGNode have been turning up stagnate. The documentation only tells me how to form the node, and I don't know how to get all the data I need into the node object or how to properly display it. Below is my current attempt which failed.

screen.setMessagePort(port)

'scene = screen.CreateScene("timer")
screen.show()

label = CreateObject("roSGNode", "Label")
label.horizAlign = "center"
label.vertAlign = "center"
label.translation="[0,500]"
label.width="1280"
label.text = "there is no stream right now."

label.setFocus()

Apparently you're not supposed to use the node.field subtext even though the documentation suggests doing so. Could somebody help me straighten out what I'm supposed to do in this scenario?

EDIT: I tried investigating the documentation and used this code to see what would happen:
screen.setMessagePort(port)

'scene = screen.CreateScene("timer")
screen.show()

label = CreateObject("roSGNode", "Label")
aa={horizAlign: "center"
vertAlign: "center"
translation: "[0,500]"
width: "1280"
text: "there is no stream right now."
}
label.AddFields(aa)

label.setFocus()

When I ran the program, it told me that it failed to create an roSGNode with type Label, even though it worked the first time. Am I missing something?
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

Re: Is there a complete guide on roSGNode?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.
Is this your /source/main.brs script?

It looks like you're trying to create a screen without a scene.
That won't work.

Can you confirm your project structure?

It should look something like this:
/manifest
/source/main.brs
/components/scenes/Main/Main.brs - All your scenes brightscript goes in here.
/components/scenes/Main/Main.xml - Calls Main.brs

Brightscript components are identified throughout the app via their defined name in the XML markup.

Here is how I think your code should look:
/components/scenes/Main/Main.xml

<component name="Main" extends="Scene">
<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/scenes/Main/Main.brs" />
<interface></interface>
<children>
<Label id="myLabel" />
</children>
</component>

/components/scenes/Main/Main.brs
sub init()
m.label = m.top.findNode("myLabel")
m.label.horizAlign = "center"
m.label.vertAlign = "center"
m.label.translation="[0,500]"
m.label.width="1280"
m.label.text = "there is no stream right now."
end sub

/source/main.brs
sub main()
m.screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
m.screen.setMessagePort(m.port)
m.scene = screen.CreateScene("Main")
m.screen.show()
end sub
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

Perhaps I should be more specific. (apologies, as I'd written this post in a momentary bout of frustration.) The function isn't the main function of my program, but I assume the principle is the same. At least, I assume it is. Correct me if I'm wrong (please).

The text saying there is no stream is actually a placeholder, and my intent is to make a display informing the user of how long it will be before a stream takes place. I've been attempting another placeholder with a description on the main menu, a roListScreen, of the app I am building but that doesn't seem to be working either (brightscript reeeeally doesn't want me to tell time, I guess).
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"scaper12123" wrote:
Perhaps I should be more specific. (apologies, as I'd written this post in a momentary bout of frustration.) The function isn't the main function of my program, but I assume the principle is the same. At least, I assume it is. Correct me if I'm wrong (please).

The text saying there is no stream is actually a placeholder, and my intent is to make a display informing the user of how long it will be before a stream takes place. I've been attempting another placeholder with a description on the main menu, a roListScreen, of the app I am building but that doesn't seem to be working either (brightscript reeeeally doesn't want me to tell time, I guess).

If you can't figure out how to tell the time using BrightScript, you'll get totally wound up in knots trying to do anything using the Scene Graph API. And I don't even know whether it's even possible to mix Scene Graph API code (roSGNode) with standard Roku API code (roListScreen). As I told you in another thread, you'd be better off sticking with the standard components until you understand what you're doing. It should be fairly easy to display a timer on an roListScreen; just over-write an existing field (Title, ShortDescriptionLine1, breadcrumb, etc.) with the timer value. If you're stuck on that part, let me know and I'll whip up a quick example.
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
If you can't figure out how to tell the time using BrightScript, you'll get totally wound up in knots trying to do anything using the Scene Graph API. And I don't even know whether it's even possible to mix Scene Graph API code (roSGNode) with standard Roku API code (roListScreen). As I told you in another thread, you'd be better off sticking with the standard components until you understand what you're doing. It should be fairly easy to display a timer on an roListScreen; just over-write an existing field (Title, ShortDescriptionLine1, breadcrumb, etc.) with the timer value. If you're stuck on that part, let me know and I'll whip up a quick example.

I should stress that I am at least figuring out the basic components in roDateTime. Admittedly the possibilities of time-zone differences have made me lag a bit but that's about the worst of it. What I was trying originally was to have a display with a countdown to the stream, coinciding with the timer, so that anybody watching would have something to look at when the stream is about to start, and so they wouldn't have to keep re-selecting the livestream option on the main menu in the hopes of getting it when the stream is just starting.

I guess I should say I'm stuck on that part. Again, what I've technically been doing now is trying to print out a date in ShortDescriptionLine2 component along with some text, so it would say "next streaming date: [date goes here]". I did attempt to do this by calling a function to return a string with the date but, unfortunately, the console gave me a syntax error.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"scaper12123" wrote:
what I've technically been doing now is trying to print out a date in ShortDescriptionLine2 component along with some text, so it would say "next streaming date: [date goes here]". I did attempt to do this by calling a function to return a string with the date but, unfortunately, the console gave me a syntax error.

I see. Do you just want to display the date and/or time of when the stream will be available, or an actual continuously-updated timer that counts down to zero?
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

I want to ideally end up with the latter, which would be helpful in multiple ways. Again, it would allow the viewer to stay on the stream screen before the service, and it would allow me to check for the livestream immediately when the timer fires. Although if I had an example of both, I would really appreciate it. I've had issues on both fronts, after all.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Here's an example showing both the date/time when the stream will play, as well as a countdown timer. All the elements you need should be there. It'll be worth your while to try and understand the code, looking up stuff you don't understand in the BrightScript Reference, or the Component Reference for roDateTime and roListScreen, then modify your own code accordingly. If you still don't understand anything, then feel free to ask.

Sub Main ()
' Get the content list from somewhere
contentList = getContentList ()

' Get the next event time somehow (e.g. 65 secs from now)
dtNext = CreateObject ("roDateTime")
dtNext.FromSeconds (dtNext.AsSeconds () + 65)

' Display countdown screen
displayMainScreen (contentList, dtNext)
End Sub

Function displayMainScreen (contentList As Object, dtNext As Object) As Void
' Get the current GMT time
dtNow = CreateObject ("roDateTime")

' Display content list using an roListScreen
port = CreateObject ("roMessagePort")
ui = CreateObject ("roListScreen")
ui.SetMessagePort (port)
ui.SetContent (contentList)
ui.Show ()

' Keep track of which item is focused
focusedIndex = 0
While True
' Check for countdown completion every 500 milliseconds
msg = Wait (500, port)
' Invalid is returned from Wait if a timeout occurs
If msg = Invalid
' Update the current time
dtNow.Mark ()
' Check how much time is left -- assumes all content items have same countdown time
secondsLeft = dtNext.AsSeconds () - dtNow.AsSeconds ()
' Check if the countdown time has expired
If secondsLeft > 0
' Countdown still running - modify content item with the time remaining
contentItem = {}
' Keep the title the same
contentItem.Title = contentList [focusedIndex].Title
' Modify ShortDescriptionLine 1/2 with the stream time and countdown timer
contentItem.ShortDescriptionLine1 = "streaming at: " + formatDateTime (dtNext)
contentItem.ShortDescriptionLine2 = "time left: " + formatTimeLeft (secondsLeft)
' Replace the focused content item with the modified item
ui.SetItem (focusedIndex, contentItem)
Else
' Coundown has expired - display original content item
ui.SetItem (focusedIndex, contentList [focusedIndex])
End If
Else If Type (msg) = "roListScreenEvent"
If msg.IsScreenClosed ()
Exit While
Else If msg.IsListItemFocused ()
' Keep track of which list item is focused
focusedIndex = msg.GetIndex ()
Else If msg.IsListItemSelected ()
' Play the selected video item
displayVideoScreen (contentList [focusedIndex])
End If
End If
End While
End Function

' Format a date time object: mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss
Function formatDateTime (dtGMT As Object) As String
' Convert GMT roDateTime to local
' Note - make a copy of dtGMT, to avoid multiple calls to ToLocalTime on same object
dtLocal = CreateObject ("roDateTime")
dtLocal.FromSeconds (dtGMT.AsSeconds ())
dtLocal.ToLocalTime()
h$ = Right ("0" + dtLocal.GetHours ().ToStr (), 2)
m$ = Right ("0" + dtLocal.GetMinutes ().ToStr (), 2)
s$ = Right ("0" + dtLocal.GetSeconds ().ToStr (), 2)
Return dtLocal.AsDateString ("short-date") + " " + h$ + ":" + m$ + ":" + s$
End Function

' Format the time left: "h:mm:ss"
Function formatTimeLeft (seconds As Integer) As String
h% = seconds / 3600
m% = (seconds - h% * 3600) / 60
s% = seconds Mod 60
Return h%.ToStr () + ":" + Right ("0" + m%.ToStr (), 2) + ":" + Right ("0" + s%.ToStr (), 2)
End Function

' Add code here to play the selected video content item
Function displayVideoScreen (contentItem As Object) As Void
Stop
End Function

' Returns array of content meta-data items (hard-coded here, but could use XML, JSON, etc)
Function getContentList () As Object
contentList = []
contentList.Push({Title: "Title-1", ShortDescriptionLine1: "Desc-1a", ShortDescriptionLine2: "Desc-1b"})
contentList.Push({Title: "Title-2", ShortDescriptionLine1: "Desc-2a", ShortDescriptionLine2: "Desc-2b"})
contentList.Push({Title: "Title-3", ShortDescriptionLine1: "Desc-3a", ShortDescriptionLine2: "Desc-3b"})
contentList.Push({Title: "Title-4", ShortDescriptionLine1: "Desc-4a", ShortDescriptionLine2: "Desc-4b"})
Return contentList
End Function

EDIT: Display time using user's local time zone.
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
Here's an example showing both the date/time when the stream will play, as well as a countdown timer. All the elements you need should be there. It'll be worth your while to try and understand the code, looking up stuff you don't understand in the BrightScript Reference, or the Component Reference for roDateTime and roListScreen, then modify your own code accordingly. If you still don't understand anything, then feel free to ask.

I'll look through this and see if I can learn anything. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"scaper12123" wrote:
Admittedly the possibilities of time-zone differences have made me lag a bit but that's about the worst of it.

When you asked about using AsSeconds in another thread, I said "assuming both roDateTimes are in GMT, this will work". I emphasize again that you must operate in GMT. NEVER use local time for any time calculations -- it will fail, due to the fact that local time is neither monotonic nor unambiguous (for example, the local time 1:30am occurs twice on the same day when Daylight Saving Time ends). The only thing local time should be used for is to display times to the user.

--Mark
0 Kudos