Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
santonivich
Channel Surfer

Help with "liveFeed" JSON

Hello. I have a 24/7 streaming channel. I am trying to figure out how to configure that in my Direct Publisher JSON feed.

What I currently have (which does not produce an error...but also doesn't seem to work) is the following:

"liveFeed": [

{

"id":"6038675309",
"title":"MY CHANNEL NAME LIVE",
"thumbnail":"https://MYDOMAIN.com/channelfeeds/thumbs/Streaming_Live.jpg",
"brandedThumbnail":"https://MYDOMAIN.com/channelfeeds/thumbs/Streaming_Live.jpg",
"shortDescription":"Channel LIVE Stream",
   "longDescription":"LIVE streaming channel featuring all content.",
   "tags":[  
      "linear",
      "news",
      "celebrity"
   ],

"content":[{
   "dateAdded": "2022-01-23T12:00:37+00:00",
   "duration": 604800,
   "captions": [ ],
   "adBreaks": ["00:15:00", "00:30:00", "00:45:00"],
   "language": "en",
   "videos": [{
  "url": "http://MYDOMAIN.com:8088/hls/MYSTREAM.m3u8",
  "quality": "UHD",
  "videoType": "HLS"

}]

}]

}

],

Then I also have it in a playlist and category like here:

"playlists": [
{
"name": "live_feed",
"itemIds": [
"6038675309"
]
},

"categories": [
{
"name": "LIVE FEED",
"playlistName": "live_feed",
"order": "most_recent"
},

Nothing shows up....I have confirmed my HLS stream is working. Does anyone have an idea on what I did wrong?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Help with "liveFeed" JSON

Have you tried using the "validity" period objects in your feed?  Partner Success has a post regarding their usage.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
santonivich
Channel Surfer

Thank you. I'll give it a try. I never inluded them.

0 Kudos
bperry_11
Reel Rookie

Did you have any luck @santonivich ? I'm dealing with the same issue. Have tried the validity dates but the feed still doesn't show up.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

There are many ways a feed file may fail to show the contents of the channel.  You should post your feed file for review if possible.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
santonivich
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, no. I've backed off from it the last few weeks but I'll be looking at it again soon.... I'll let you know if I made any progress. How about you?

0 Kudos
bperry_11
Reel Rookie

@santonivich I was able to get mine working. Mine was not a 24/7 feed which was the tricky part. 

HOWEVER, looking at your feed, I happened to notice that you have "liveFeed:" it should be "liveFeeds:" (plural) for your liveFeeds object. At one point I had the same mistake. The reference material is horribly confusing because when you click to jump to the "liveFeeds object" it takes you to something titled "liveFeed" 

0 Kudos