Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davidb7236
Visitor

HOSTING VIDEO

Hi Team,

Quick question, I'm new at getting a channel setup and I was thinking about the hosting potrion. I looked around and all these companies are charging way to much for a small project i'm putting together. I was wondering if I can just host my video's on my server at home, I have the space and cablevision for internet or is there more to it?

Thanks
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
onevoisses
Visitor

Re: HOSTING VIDEO

I am forwarding this article for you to read

http://www.serverschool.com/dedicated-s ... ed-server/

Most people do not understand the difference between a business and for private use.
If you are doing for a business then you need to weigh your cost against your benefits,that way you will not look at what most people are charging but how much you will make.

People charge for the cost of their service based on a number of reason,Capital,Labour and Machine, that is Man,Machine and Money.

So here are my recommendation

1.Check around here and research what people are doing.There is so much reference about this.
2.I would not even recommend the Shared Hosting Plans unless you know what you are doing,some do not allow you to stream videos or you might find a whole lot of problem with their "So-called" unlimited bandwidth,and even will restrict you if they think your content are copyrighted.READ THE FINE-PRINTS of your web-host
3.Do not complain about other charging,if you use your Home ISP you might find that you have violate your contract and get cut off.Some ISPs do not allow you to run a server on their network.Check your ISPs on what you can do and be clear again READ THE FINE-PRINTS.

Well that said I run a personal web-server for my use,it contains my DVR,HDHOMERUN,with MYTHTV that I build,and I use my roku attached to it as front-end.I do all my development.I use Mythrokuplayer.search the forum.

Then there are a lot of solutions for your personal use,like PLEX,CHANERU and a host of others.do the research

Remember if you think ROKU is bad try develop an APP for the "evil fruit" company.You first have to fork out your pockets the development fee and money,money,money.

so for personal use Plex etc otherwise you have to either invest time and money that way you see why companies charge that amount ,or try the Cheap way of your servers,you will be frustrated
Channel: Goaheadmission
O/S : Linux
Home media: MYTHROKUPLAYER With Homerun
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Hello David. You can set up a webserver on your own computer - on your own home LAN - for free - like Apache. You can design and write a roku channel to run within your home lan in about two weeks - for something that is functional for your own personal use. Download the SDK and read the docs, look at the examples, change the xml and file paths and you'd be good to go that way. Or like Onevoisses said, download plex, chaneru, or any of the other self-streaming solutions available and those should work fine for properly-encoded content.

If you want to create a public or private-distributed channel and want to pay someone else to do it, then it can seem rather expensive up front, however you usually will get what you pay for. More expensive developer contracts come with maintainence, analytics, full customization, future updates, revenue generation, support, and porting to alternate platforms like iPhone/Android/SmartTV. Some of the best coders I know work on retainer to handle any issue with any past project as long as the project is being utilized.
0 Kudos
Davidb7236
Visitor

OK, I guess i'm going to fork up the cash, I don't have the time sit here and code. I called Roku and they seem have the cheapest price around for setting up the channel and hosting by far. Everyone else was around $1000 for development and another $1000 a month for hosting, which is too much for a person starting out out and not generating any income.

Anyway thanks all for the help, I'll see if I can get a silent partner.
0 Kudos
Davidb7236
Visitor

I just called the cable company and they said I could have the server in my house but I would need to upgrade to thier top plan which is 100MB thru put. I'm not sure what is required to stream the videos if any one knows the answer please let me know.

I may have to read the entire SDK before I start but the forum is always a great place to start.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"Davidb7236" wrote:
OK, I guess i'm going to fork up the cash, I don't have the time sit here and code. I called Roku and they seem have the cheapest price around for setting up the channel and hosting by far. Everyone else was around $1000 for development and another $1000 a month for hosting, which is too much for a person starting out out and not generating any income.

Anyway thanks all for the help, I'll see if I can get a silent partner.

Not sure who you spoke to, but we don't generally build or provide server hosting for channels with a very few exceptions here and there. Maybe you spoke to some other company and confused them with us?

- Joel
0 Kudos
Davidb7236
Visitor

Wow, I guess I did speak to another company. I was under the assumption Roku would handle all this for me. Oh well I guess I need to start contacting all these vendors again until I find a person by the name of Jerry. Weird, he did say he worked at Roku.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

David, to be clear, Roku doesn't host any video or other content for your channel. If you don't mind, can you send me the details (via pm) of the company/site you spoke with and any other details you're willing to share?
0 Kudos
Davidb7236
Visitor

Patrick,

I apologize for the confusion I just called the developer and he doesn't not work for Roku. He made that very clear and it was my mis-understand.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Davidb7236
Visitor

OK, I get the point, its extremely frustrating trying to set up this channel. I'll host the content from my server at home, can any one recommend a cheap developer?
0 Kudos