Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rynop
Visitor

HLS with valid EIA-608 giving ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY: 'eia608/1'

I have a very simple scren graph app, where I'm playing a HLS video that has inline EIA-608 Closed Captioning.  I have the following code below to tell the video player that the stream contains EIA-608.  However I keep getting the error: ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY: 'eia608/1'

m.Video = m.top.findNode("Video")[/size]
m.videoContent = createObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
   m.videoContent.title = selectedItem.title
    m.videoContent.url = selectedItem.url        
    m.videoContent.streamFormat = selectedItem.StreamFormat
    m.videoContent.SubtitleConfig = {
        TrackName : "eia608/1"  'Not sure why this causes error, but its required 
    }        
    m.Video.content = m.videoContent

If I don't set the TrackName index closed captioning does not work.  If I leave code as is, I get the Error in the log but the video still plays and closed captioning still works.
Why am I getting this error? 
Using new quad-core roku stick. newest firmware.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: HLS with valid EIA-608 giving ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY: 'eia608/1'

(dupe deleted)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Ha! The diagnostic "ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY: 'eia608/1'" is indicative of it trying to access it as a file name and not finding the "drive" prefix (pkg:, tmp:, etc).

Fortunately, sounds like that diagnostic is only a warning and because of a RSG bug.
I have been campaigning for over a year to replace the misleading "ERROR:" text with "WARNING:"... all to the tune of *crickets chirp*
0 Kudos
rynop
Visitor

So what your saying is I'm doing noting wrong and there is nothing that can be done to prevent/supress that error?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"rynop" wrote:
So what your saying is I'm doing noting wrong and there is nothing that can be done to prevent/supress that error?

I don't see wrong on your side. There is something that can be done - the Co may opt to fix the bug on their side that causes the erroneous warning 🙂
0 Kudos