Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbakernc
Visitor

HDMI out protected

I have a channel that I want to play out on HDMI and not include the copy protection flag.

I can connect the HDMI output to another piece of equipment and one of my streams. I can view the menus on this equipment but when I play a video I just get a purple screen.

It appears, that when the video stream starts, the copy protect flag turns on.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: HDMI out protected

AFAIK HDMI copy protection between the output device and the source device is the foundation of the HDMI protocol, so there isn't any way to disable the protection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw ... Protection

Or are you referring to some secondary copy protection like macrovision?
0 Kudos
atheling
Binge Watcher

HDCP is at the option of the signal source. If Roku wanted they could disable HDCP.

Except then content providers like Netflix, Hulu+ and others would make sure their content could not be shown via a Roku box and that would mean the market for the box would not exist. Of course Netflix and others only require copy protection because the studios and other content owners require it.

I guess Roku could have the HDCP enable/disable set by the channel code. So channels that dish up only public domain content could have HDCP disabled. But why bother? Typically HDCP "just works" so having it on all the time shouldn't be an issue.

On Roku2 video streams are rendered by hardware that is set to require HDCP and will output a purple screen if HDCP has failed. Menus are generated via a different frame buffer mechanism that does not require HDCP. The output from these two hardware sections are combined for output. So your menus are visible regardless of the success or failure of HDCP but video streams will only be seen if HDCP is successful.
0 Kudos
bbakernc
Visitor

Yes, what you described is what is happening. We just had some clients that wanted to use a Roku box and play a live stream, take the HDMI out, convert it to HD-SDI.

THANKS
0 Kudos