Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Giving users in-channel product for free

Other than Test Users, is there any way to give a user an In-Channel Product without charging them? Looking at the roChannelStore documentation there doesn't seem to be a way unless I missed something. Alternatively, is it possible to create an In-Channel Product that is free (Price tier 0 doesn't seem to be an option)?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Giving users in-channel product for free

great question... any idea what the answer is?
0 Kudos
RobSMS
Visitor

There is no way using the Roku side of things. I ended up modifying my back-end to add IAP purchases to user accounts.

It would be nice to have some way of offering coupons or free items to user accounts from Roku's side though.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

+1 on coupons. It seems that someone stubbed it out on the roku side. When running validateTransaction through the API, there is a couponCode field returned.

Another nice feature would be the ability to adjust trial periods on the fly. Say a channel has two tiers with 30 day free trials. If a customer switches tiers mid way through the trial, it would be nice to give them a prorated trial on the new plan.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

There definitely should be "price tier 0" for IAP, just like on any other platform!

So that like on other platforms one can run "sales" like "Today only, you get this item FOR FREE!"
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Roku* -
what say you regarding "price tier 0" option for in-app products?

Is there request filed on that - and if not, could you kindly open one, please?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm still interested as well.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

There is currently no "Price Tier 0" for in-channel products, but we've opened a request as a result of the demand generated in this thread.
0 Kudos