Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BizarreTV
Visitor

Getting Unexpected Error in Properties on Roku Develop site

Hello there. Can someone help me please. I was in my developer site on The Roku site and was trying to change my private channels vanity access code and I keep getting this error for the past few days and I even deleted cookies and cache and went as far as re-packaging the channel. I change the vanity access code every so often and NEVER had this problem. I double checked everything. Is it me or is anyone else having this issue?

There was an unexpected error in the website. The current page will not load. Close and re-open your browser, navigate back to the website, and try repeating your last actions. If the problem persists, please contact our support team.

If reporting this error please reference the following url: https://developer.roku.com/apps/properties

Please Help! :shock: Thanks,
Rhonda
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Getting Unexpected Error in Properties on Roku Develop s

Given RokuCo's 10-thumb web developers, you should "expect the unexpected!".

Try http://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/ instead, works better for me.
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Visitor

Thanks EnTerr for replying...but that did not work either...It is very bothersome and I hope that they fix this!
:?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Confirming: currently there is a bug in the developer portal that makes changing vanity code impossible!

I tested it too and when trying to save from https://developer.roku.com/apps/properties?channel=XXX, it shows error screen as in @BizarreTV's snapshot above. I am including some snapshots from the console that should help:

"Oh but you are using a code that's already taken" - you may think. Alas, no - i tried different (and highly unlikely) variations, it always reacts with the error. So yes - it is fracked.

The sad thing is how oblivious to the issues in the portal are the very people that wrote it! I discovered this earlier today when talking to couple of them - Paul Kim and Steven Keng of RokuCo - which otherwise are very proud of the uhh, "new site". A repeating pattern in the conversation was:
PK|SK: "What do you mean it doesn't work?" (skeptically)-
Me: "I mean that if a QA had spend couple of minutes on this screen, they would have run into this. Don't you have QAs?" -
PK|SK: "We do!" -
Me: "Then how things like this keep happening, again and again?" -
PK|SK: "..." (shrug)

They disclaimed knowing of the issues we have been complaining about here for months. My suggestion that they'd be more clueful about the state of the "new portal" if they kept an eye on this forum were rebuffed with "we have people that read it and would have notified the upper management if there were indeed issues to fix and it would trickle down to us". In other words "that's another department" / "not in my backyard".

They were very, very reluctant to even have a glance at specific forum topics i tried to show them. Lest what, they might be infectious (Zika virus)?! Apparently personally caring that the result of your work are useful in real world is not for everyone! 😞

Coincidently, one of the issues i tried to show them was the current one. "Look, there is this one from last week!" - "Oh but it has been answered already" - "Yeah... by me. And unsuccessfully"
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
Confirming: currently there is a bug in the developer portal that makes changing vanity code impossible!

I tested it too and when trying to save from https://developer.roku.com/apps/properties?channel=XXX, it shows error screen as in @BizarreTV's snapshot above. I am including some snapshots from the console that should help:

"Oh but you are using a code that's already taken" - you may think. Alas, no - i tried different (and highly unlikely) variations, it always reacts with the error. So yes - it is fracked.

The sad thing is how oblivious to the issues in the portal are the very people that wrote it! I discovered this earlier today when talking to couple of them - Paul Kim and Steven Keng of RokuCo - which otherwise are very proud of the uhh, "new site". A repeating pattern in the conversation was:
PK|SK: "What do you mean it doesn't work?" (skeptically)-
Me: "I mean that if a QA had spend couple of minutes on this screen, they would have run into this. Don't you have QAs?" -
PK|SK: "We do!" -
Me: "Then how things like this keep happening, again and again?" -
PK|SK: "..." (shrug)

They disclaimed knowing of the issues we have been complaining about here for months. My suggestion that they'd be more clueful about the state of the "new portal" if they kept an eye on this forum were rebuffed with "we have people that read it and would have notified the upper management if there were indeed issues to fix and it would trickle down to us". In other words "that's another department" / "not in my backyard".

They were very, very reluctant to even have a glance at specific forum topics i tried to show them. Lest what, they might be infectious (Zika virus)?! Apparently personally caring that the result of your work are useful in real world is not for everyone! 😞

Coincidently, one of the issues i tried to show them was the current one. "Look, there is this one from last week!" - "Oh but it has been answered already" - "Yeah... by me. And unsuccessfully"

Wow...such BAD sportsmanship ...hmmm..not only that problem with the portal...I have been trying to add channels...and they are not showing up...take a look at my other posts! My viewers are having same issues ...NO ONE SEEMS TO BE HELPING. So frustrating. I really appreciate you having a gander at the problem posted above...I am glad that it wasn't just me. Thanks again EnTerr
0 Kudos
BizarreTV
Visitor

This error when in properties in the Roku Developer Portal is still happening....grrrrrrrrrr....So much is wrong lately. Between not being able to change my Channels Vanity Access Codes and NOT being able to get channels installed but not show up on the Roku screen without having to do the dreaded "Factory Reset"...this is all very stressful for a Channel Developer...When will someone from Roku sort out this problem? Are they even reading ANY of the posts here!?

:x -Rhonda
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Rhonda, I understand you're feeling frustrated, but you might have better luck here (and perhaps in life in general) by taking it down a notch 8-)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
Rhonda, I understand you're feeling frustrated, but you might have better luck here (and perhaps in life in general) by taking it down a notch 8-)

And while we are at giving unsolicited advice, Komag - perhaps you should restrain yourself from telling others how to live their life till you have walked in their shoes? 😉

Case in point: the way i understand it, BizarreTV has 3 published channels, with number of installs in the high tens of thousands (towards 100k) ... and you have 0. It does not make you of a lesser man but makes it undue for you weighing-in on how one should react when the rock they stand on crumbles under their feet. You can try imagining what it is to have the frustrated users of your apps contacting you - but it is not the same as experiencing it: you have no skin in the game.

RokuCo is building a platform, on top of which app developers are expected to build up content. You need a rock-solid foundation first "... and upon this rock I will build my church" (to quote a fav.messiah). For the most part Roku has been a reliable, solid platform - occasionally even bending backwards to be "old mistakes" compatible.

Thus, it is out of ordinary when basic things like the payment system - or vanity codes - or adding channels break. And yes, we the "church-builders" are justified being deeply bothered when such earthquakes happen.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Yes, after reading that point of view I think you are right, my apologies Rhonda! :oops:
0 Kudos
jshopshear
Visitor

I'm having the same problem and have noticed it about 3 weeks ago.. Agreed is is frustration that something so small and you can't move forward and are dead in the water till it is corrected.
0 Kudos