Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbrouse
Visitor

GetPartialUserData not working in private channel

We've used the roChannelStore function GetPartialUserData successfully in a number of channels we've developed in the past, but are having some trouble with a channel we're currently developing.

GetPartialUserData("email") works correctly when the channel is side-loaded; the standard share information dialog is presented and the user is able to choose whether or not to share their email. When we push the same build up to a private QA channel it appears as if that code is skipped entirely, or GetPartialUserData("email") always returns invalid, and no dialog is presented to the user.

I did notice that the docs under GetUserData mention:
The primary use case of this method is to facilitate partner account creation/updating within channels that have a customer billing relationship with Roku.

We do have Roku billing and partner payouts enabled on the developer account where the QA private channel was created and there are subscription products associated with that channel.

Any thoughts as to why this functionality would work locally but not on a private/public channel build?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: GetPartialUserData not working in private channel

It's probably blocked for use by Private channels if your billing and routines work on public channels on the same developer account.
0 Kudos
bbrouse
Visitor

I would agree with you, but we have private channels running on another developer account that use similar code and work as intended.
0 Kudos
bbrouse
Visitor

Cam anyone from RokuCo weigh in on what needs to be done to enable this functionality?
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

.getUserData() and .getPartialUserData() are NOT blocked for private channels. I just checked and they work just fine.

There is a caveat however - of which i was not aware till today - that these functions silently fail if the developer account is not enrolled in billing. No diagnostics - just `invalid` returned. So buyer (i mean seller) beware!
npauzenga
Visitor

We're running into the same issue. GetUserData isn't working on a private channel. We are enrolled in Roku billing but haven't publicly published a channel that includes it yet. Is it possibly more than just enrollment in billing that's required? Will GetUserData/GetPartialUserData only work if the developer has a publicly published channel that incorporates Roku billing? Or perhaps there's another account setting somewhere?
0 Kudos
dl-ens
Visitor

We have same problem with private channel with ChannelStore Node "getUserData" command. It works on sideload, but no email dialog in the private channel.

The kicker is Purchase goes through in this private channel though!  With correct PIN/price dialog all showing up, we even get roku billing email when purchased too.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
npauzenga
Visitor

GetPartialUserData has just started working for us in our private channels. We received an email from Roku yesterday stating that our enrollment in Roku billing was complete ("Congratulations, your enrollment in Roku’s Billing Services Program is now complete." etc.).

That's about 1.5 - 2 months after we submitted our information so if you're having a similar issue, I'd suggest checking to see if you've received this confirmation email. Before this message came in it looked to me that we were already enrolled and everything was good to go. I didn't realize the enrollment wasn't finalized.
0 Kudos
dl-ens
Visitor

"npauzenga" wrote:
GetPartialUserData has just started working for us in our private channels. We received an email from Roku yesterday stating that our enrollment in Roku billing was complete ("Congratulations, your enrollment in Roku’s Billing Services Program is now complete." etc.).

That's about 1.5 - 2 months after we submitted our information so if you're having a similar issue, I'd suggest checking to see if you've received this confirmation email. Before this message came in it looked to me that we were already enrolled and everything was good to go. I didn't realize the enrollment wasn't finalized.

I can confirm this too. I received the email in a couple of weeks.
0 Kudos