Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retrotom
Visitor

Gabby Alpha Testers Wanted/Needed

EDIT: Removed...lack of feedback.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
retrotom
Visitor

Re: Gabby Alpha Testers Wanted/Needed

I see that a few people have installed the channel. Did anyone have any issues or areas of concern?

Thanks,
RT
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"retrotom" wrote:
I see that a few people have installed the channel. Did anyone have any issues or areas of concern?

Thanks,
RT
I tried it last night and was able to install and start the channel and server on a Win7 laptop with 6GB ram. The device registration process worked fine. I added my videos folder to the server, and attempted to use the channel to view them. This resulted in the channel reporting that no servers could be found on the network. So I stopped and started the server from the Networking tab. The channel then let me into the server and into the shared folder. I have my files organized mostly into sub-folders (and sub-sub folders) with a few in the 'videos' root directory. The channel wouldn't allow me to see all of the folders and files. So I created a new folder in Windows explorer and only a single sub-directory of videos and a single video in the root. This allowed me to use the channel to browse those files. Trying to playback the individual file (an HD mp4 with two audio tracks [stereo and 5.1 aac tracks]) resulted in a short attempt at buffering than the standard roku 'an error occurred, but not a server or timeout' message. Then I moved to the sub-directory of files. These are rips from a tv series and are xvid/mp3 avi files. The two I tried played back fine. At that point it was bedtime, so I haven't done any more testing to see if it was a specific bad file or files, or the number of files that was causing the channel not to show everything in the original share. The hd mp4 error I'm tentatively attributing to the multiple audio tracks.

I'll have more time to test over the weekend, let me know if there's anything specific you want me to try and/or report on(and if you need any logs).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

You shouldn't have seen any standard roku error messages. If you see an error message, please take note of what it says. We don't use roVideoScreen, so any message you see is meant to be informative. You also shouldn't see any issues related to playing back a video with multiple audio tracks. A deficiency of the channel, etc. is that it does not allow you to select an audio track -- you can only play the first one -- but multi-track videos do playback in the channel. Lastly, the server is based on file indexing -- so if you don't see your videos, etc. -- it's likely that they haven't been indexed yet. Indexing is fairly quick, even with a highly nested folder, but it still takes a while depending on the number of files and folders that may need to be scanned. For instance, I would not add a share for "C:\". If you continue to have issues with that MP4, PM me so that we can get a copy of it or something and try to reproduce the issue. We have a google storage account that can be used to uploads files if the file is not publicly accessible from the internet already.
0 Kudos