Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dvyz
Visitor

FrameRate and ABR

Hello,
I am looking for a list of Roku devices which support 60fps (Under whatever dimension, bitrate, codec etc) Please share if anyone has it, prepared it.
Meanwhile, I was wondering whether I can restrict the player not to switch to a stream witch is 60fps. Thanks
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: FrameRate and ABR

All current generation Roku devices output at 60fps, regardless of the source material. The only exception that I'm aware of is the MHL streaming stick, which also supports 24fps.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dvyz
Visitor

Thank you for answer.
I haven't really tested on the streaming stick. I am reading many online reviews that Roku2 have issues with 60fps video. (They weren't generous enough to mention other details like bit rate, dimension and codec)
This is the main reason, I wanted to get this info from an official spec point of view. In my view, Roku must have it as part of each device spec, some how I could not find it online.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I should clarify that they output at 60fps. According to the supported video formats here, they only support 24 and 30fps video, but I don't know how accurate that chart is anymore.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dvyz
Visitor

you are right, I went through that document and it seems they only support 23.976 fps or 29.97 fps
I too learned that they output 60fps. May be they officially do not claim that support because it may not be perfect and it may have issues like stuttering or AV losing sync.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Plus games can run 60 fps, and channel interfaces, it's not just streaming video that cares about the framerate.
0 Kudos
dvyz
Visitor

Do you know games with 60fps run on all Roku2, Roku3 and Roku Dongle devices? Or they are selective?
These are some of the questions I would like to know from Roku folks as a clear spec and not speculations.
0 Kudos