Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlfreund
Visitor

Filter Banner filtering

Hi,

How is the filter banner supposed to work? I assume that the PosterScreen is supposed to automatically re-filter your content list as the user changes selection in the filter banner, but I don't see that happen. Each item in the content list has it's "Categories" property set to a single string in the content meta-data associative array to match one of the category names in the filter banner. But as I select different categories from the banner, all content items are always displayed, as if the "Categories" property is being ignored. Am I expected to manually handle the selection of each category and call SetContentList each time the user changes category?

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Filter Banner filtering

"jlfreund" wrote:
Am I expected to manually handle the selection of each category and call SetContentList each time the user changes category?/quote]
Yes. You need to listen for the isListFocused() event, and reset your content list as appropriate. Also, be sure to reset the focused list item as well.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Filter Banner filtering

Also, you should clear the displayed content and show "Retrieving" on the screen before attempting to download the next set of content, otherwise, the existing content will show on the screen while you are retrieving the new content and that is confusing to the user.

Another suggestion is to keep the content you downloaded in an array, so that you don't have to hit your server every time the user browses to another category on the filter banner, this will improve the user experience for your channel. Typically, you would have a flag set for each category in the banner so that you could track whether the content has been downloaded already, so you don't do it twice.

- Joel
0 Kudos