Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supersecretuser
Channel Surfer

Re: FLV Container Support Survey

"dsfilms" wrote:
Yes I think expanding to flash would be a good move.

I would think Hulu, Crackle, Fearnet ect could utilize the platform

They can already utilize the platform. As far as we know they just haven't decided to do so.
0 Kudos
jnicholas
Visitor

We have all of our content in Flash H264 Video right now to support our main flash based sites. I would love to see Roku support Flash Video if it could actually stream through rtmp from Flash Media Server. If you just mean being able to playback flash encoded video from a file server the way it plays regular H.264 files then that might still be useful so we don't have to encode an additional file but still means we are setting up a parallel servers.
0 Kudos
ljprevo
Binge Watcher

"jnicholas" wrote:
We have all of our content in Flash H264 Video right now to support our main flash based sites. I would love to see Roku support Flash Video if it could actually stream through rtmp from Flash Media Server. If you just mean being able to playback flash encoded video from a file server the way it plays regular H.264 files then that might still be useful so we don't have to encode an additional file but still means we are setting up a parallel servers.

Same here, I was trying to pitch this idea to a company and all their videos are in the FLV Flash H264 format, to do this as it looks now we would have to convert ALL the videos to do this.

If we had a way to implement this with the FLV vids in place now they would go for it hands down other wise we would have to convert thousands of videos. 😞
0 Kudos
ljprevo
Binge Watcher

Any word on if Roku plans on releasing any type of FLV container?

Here are my answers to the original question...

I've seen a few people request FLV container support. If you're one of those, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

What FLV content do you want to play? Yours or someone else's? If someone else's, whose?

It is someone else content. It is for http://www.realcatholictv.com

If it's your FLV content, what's preventing you from supporting other containers?

Not mine, but the issue is the client of mine is not hip about converting all their videos and have 2 of every type on their servers (storage issues and time to convert)

Which particular codecs do you need for FLV? Anything beyond h.264/AAC?

Not sure what codecs their FLV is in, I would have to research that.
0 Kudos
japzone
Visitor

"ljprevo" wrote:
Any word on if Roku plans on releasing any type of FLV container?

Which particular codecs do you need for FLV? Anything beyond h.264/AAC?

Not sure what codecs their FLV is in, I would have to research that.

Search Google for "MediaInfo". It's a handy little (Free)program that can read almost any Video/Audio file and tell you exactly what it's made with(Codec, Bitrate, Resolution, ect...) I use it all the time to figure out different videos I get. Works Quite Well.
*Disclaimer*
I don't claim to be Undeniably Right. Most of my answers are based off of Pure fact, but Some are the Personal Opinions of Myself. Please take them in stride and don't Flame me if I get Something wrong.
0 Kudos
Harpo
Visitor

All new to me but I am dissapointed that we can't watch Hulu. I still have to take the laptop to the bedroom and hook up to the tv to watch it.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

Even if the Roku DVP supported flash, the likelihood of there being an official Hulu channel would still be pretty slim in my opinion, based on Hulu's history with other software/STB's (i.e., Boxee). Roku would have to work out some sort of licensing agreement, which I'm assuming would be rather difficult.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
lramsdell
Visitor

can brightsign play flv
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Well, count me the odd man out but I really don't like Apple. iTunes broke a few of my games because they know best and changed a bunch of settings and it took me a couple weeks to repair them. I also think the quality level of their format 264/quicktime is really really bad. Having a 2 hour video take up a gigabyte at acceptable quality is a real bad idea with bandwidth caps and all. I wish ROKU would support divx or xvid - that way I can get decent quality at a lower bandwidth. I got rid of all my pirated stuff many many years ago, so as for what I'd be using it for - that would be home videos from a divx camera like this one - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SC-X300-M ... B000MANQJA
0 Kudos
AVP777
Visitor

1. Our content.
2. 16000+ full length (average 2 hours) movies x 4 bit rates re-encoded is a daunting task.
3. VP6 would be nice.
0 Kudos