Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
archanagwda
Level 7

Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

Hi, 

I am trying to play ads in my code, I am not able to play the ads. Getting this following error:
showVideoAd(): excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

This is the Ad URL: 
https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad ... &is_lat=1& correlator=9924


Please let me know how can I fix this. I tried with stream tester too.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

You may want to post this in the developers group.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

[Moving to Roku Developer Program
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
archanagwda
Level 7

Re: Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

I am still getting this error. I tried with sample RAF code provided by roku, still throwing same error, We struct in between because of this error. Any updates on this error? 
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

Hi archanagwda -
not to worry, this just means that it takes excessive time to buffer the video - more than 15 secs or more than the whole clip length is, and to protect user experience, RAF cancels the play for that ad. This is a rare event in production apps and in investigation has always turned out to be either
a) bad CDN (i.e. slow hosting of mp4) or
b) no low-bandwidth creatives in the ad (in VAST, multiple versions of the video are provided, so that the player can choose quality based on the network conditions)

your specific case might be that you are trying to play US-only ads from abroad (common for off-shore developers) and US ads servers are not configured to server fast worldwide. You could however host locally VAST files and change media URLs to point to local web server, that way issue won't happen during dev/QA
0 Kudos