Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Enabling Your Channel for Video Ads

Fast-forward couple of months later, update: RokuCo fill rates are still ~80%... on a good day. On a bad day they drop below 50%.

My "skip rates" have slowly risen up, maybe up to 40% (based on a small sample check today). I attribute that to 2 things: there are some regular/dedicated users that are habitual skippers (i traced couple over time and those reliably log <1sec reaction time on skipping prestitials). And two, there is only a limited number of leg shaving ads one can watch before developing immune rejection response to it. I will be reining in on these situations by offering a "no ads" optional upgrade
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Fast-forward couple of months later, update: RokuCo fill rates are still ~80%... on a good day. On a bad day they drop below 50%.

My "skip rates" have slowly risen up, maybe up to 40% (based on a small sample check today). I attribute that to 2 things: there are some regular/dedicated users that are habitual skippers (i traced couple over time and those reliably log <1sec reaction time on skipping prestitials). And two, there is only a limited number of leg shaving ads one can watch before developing immune rejection response to it. I will be reining in on these situations by offering a "no ads" optional upgrade

I'm sorry to hear the news. And I do understand how ads work, but I have faith that the FILL rate will get better. As Joel said: "This is a hairy situation. [...] This may have to do with razor thin industry margins. I'm sure it will all gel in the end."
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
Arthy74
Visitor

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how to implement a video advert interstitial to monetize a channel.

The example in RAF doc are quite confusing.... is there a full tutorial somewhere step by step (create a DFP/Adsense/DFP/Admob...) account and like it to RAF ?

I understood that Roku can also serve the ads in the channel (if we request a custom uri) ?

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

"Arthy74" wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to understand how to implement a video advert interstitial to monetize a channel.

The example in RAF doc are quite confusing.... is there a full tutorial somewhere step by step (create a DFP/Adsense/DFP/Admob...) account and like it to RAF ?

I understood that Roku can also serve the ads in the channel (if we request a custom uri) ?

Thanks for your help

HI, there are experts on this forum who can give you greater details than I, but to start:
1.  When you're saying "interstitial" it sounds like your referring to a mobile app like something made with Android studio.  Roku instead uses Ad Pods with their RAF SDK's.
2. Nada.  But if you find a tutorial or even a freelance developer who actually speaks English well enough to explain it to you, then I hope you'll share your rescources with me   And regarding Adsense... I've never been paid much from them...There's others in the game if you have the right content.

3.  Yes, this is what RAF does.
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"DeanLach" wrote:
1.  When you're saying "interstitial" it sounds like your referring to a mobile app like something made with Android studio.  Roku instead uses Ad Pods with their RAF SDK's.

"Interstitial" video ad just means mid-roll one. Compare/contrast to prestitial/pre-roll.
0 Kudos
Arthy74
Visitor

Thanks for your explanations, will try to use RAF servers then 🙂
0 Kudos

Howdy John. We have a channel built with InstantTV. Our channel is not published yet because we selected (My channel contains ads) in the HOW DO YOU PLAN TO MONETIZE YOUR CONTENT? PLEASE SELECT ALL THAT APPLY - section so the PUBLISH option is not available. We would like to be a part of the RAF program. May we have an invite to the RAF program?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Westerns On The Web" wrote:
Howdy John. We have a channel built with InstantTV. Our channel is not published yet because we selected (My channel contains ads) in the HOW DO YOU PLAN TO MONETIZE YOUR CONTENT? PLEASE SELECT ALL THAT APPLY - section so the PUBLISH option is not available. We would like to be a part of the RAF program. May we have an invite to the RAF program?

Highly unlikely for RokuJohnC to reply, he hasn't logged in here for over a year.
Are you sure selecting "ads" as monetize option is the reason you cannot publish? 
And not, say, that bundle is not uploaded or submitted for review?
0 Kudos
Wanda
Visitor

I have enabled advertising on my channel, but the only ads that play are for those viewers in the U.S. The rest of the viewers have ads that don't play. Many of my viewers are in the Spanish-speaking world and many live in Quebec.
Does anybody know if there's an advertising company that has ads for other countries?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Wanda" wrote:
I have enabled advertising on my channel, but the only ads that play are for those viewers in the U.S. The rest of the viewers have ads that don't play. Many of my viewers are in the Spanish-speaking world and many live in Quebec.
Does anybody know if there's an advertising company that has ads for other countries?

Hey Wanda, make this a new topic so it gets noticed. (i.e. start a new thread) I am curious about answers as well 
0 Kudos