Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

EnableLinkStatusEvent

Does EnableLinkStatusEvent(true) work ? I know it's not implemented on 3.x
I'm having problems with one of my boxes ( Roku 2XS ) not being able to complete a movie. It gets a lot of "Lost Network Connection" displays but I never get an roDeviceInfo event. The video plays for a couple of minutes, stammers and stumbles at different points and then THE ROKU CRASHES AND BURNS !
The same video plays fine on my other boxes.
1. HD N1000 3.1 bld 1198
2. XDS 2100X  3.1 bld 1198
3. Roku 2XS 3100X  5.5 bld 453 <----- not to good !
4. Roku 3 4200X 5.5 bld 415

m.dev = CreateObject("roDeviceInfo")
m.dev.EnableLinkStatusEvent(true)

This is in my msg loop:
if NOT m.dev.GetLinkStatus()
? "Lost Network Connection"
end if

Question:
1. Should the event work ?
2. Any ideas on the network failing ? Box 3 is about 30 ft and a wall away from the router. Box 1 is an additional 30 away from box 3 and it works fine !
3. Wouldn't it be nice if Roku implemented some sort of error display before it just falls down !
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: EnableLinkStatusEvent

Can you email me a link to the actual video file (or array of video files) that seems to be causing the reboot?

Thanks

- Joel
jbraverman [at] roku [dot] com
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Any luck ?
I tried playing the video from the link I sent you and it played the longest, 15 minutes BUT still crashes.
The other boxes played fine.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

An off the cuff remark while waiting response from mothership - have you tried swapping box 3 with one of the others and see if its destiny changes? This is to bisect whether network or application layer (e.g. codec) should be suspected.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

This sort of got off topic. But, I moved box 3 to number 4's location, same symptom. Moved it right next to router. Appears to crash after 34 seconds.
Tried it 3 times. Hard to navigate because I don't have a HDMI device at that location, used TELNET trace output to decipher where it was.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"greubel" wrote:
Any luck ?
I tried playing the video from the link I sent you and it played the longest, 15 minutes BUT still crashes.
The other boxes played fine.

I wasn't finding a link you sent me, can you resend?

- Joel
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Resent
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Transfered video to a USB drive, plays to completion. So it has to be something with the network ????
I turned on network debug and it says transferring 1.5 mbps stream on 10.0 mbps connection.

I don't mind that the video won't play (but it should). What bugs me is that the Roku crashes and reboots.
Roku should not take the MS Windows philosophy of "If you have a problem, just close all the programs and reboot".
An application should NEVER be allowed to crash the host ! Makes for a bad customer company image for Roku !
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If the video is causing the reboot it generally points to something in the encoding, although, something wrong with the encoding should not cause a player to reboot. Thanks for sending the link for testing.

- Joel
0 Kudos