Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malloys
Visitor

Re: Eclipse plugin for Brightscript

"brocker" wrote:
Hi All,

I'm suddenly getting the following error in Eclipse (was working on Friday 4/29) when trying to create a new BrightScript project:

The selected wizard could not be started.
Plug-in com.domhain.brightscript.plugin was unable to load class com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.wizards.newproject.BrightScriptProjectWizard.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.domhain.brightscript.plugin (228).

I saw someone else had this issue and resolved it by uninstalling and installing, but that did not work for me. Is there any kind of resolution to this??

Tech Details:
Eclipse Version: 1.0.0.201101111145
Java Version: 1.6.0__25

Thanks
Bud

The plugin was in beta, and timed-out on 5/1 - that's what you're seeing.
The plugin source code is now officially owned by Roku, and I am working with them to get a new version out as soon as possible... stay tuned.

Cheers
0 Kudos
migmigmig
Visitor

Not to sound like a broken record, but can we have the old plugin with a june 1st expiry instead of nothing?

Please?
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

edit:
0 Kudos
migmigmig
Visitor

Well, so far as that goes, it can be owned by Roku and still open source.

I don't see any value to their company to keep it closed-source, tho there's always more maintenance cost to actively support external coders.

Given that the original author intended to sell his Eclipse plugin (hence my pain and anguish that the current beta has expired), I assume it's better for the end-developer for Roku to be involved directly, whether the codebase be opened or not.
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

edit:2
0 Kudos
migmigmig
Visitor

I disagree completely. The whole point of building an open source platform with a plugin architecture is to build an infrastructure that can create multiple business ecosystems, including for-pay value add. Adobe makes plenty of money with Eclipse, lots of others do as well. Eclipse benefits by being used by more eyeballs and maturing as a product.

More power to the author if that's the way he wants to go, tho I think it's obviously in Roku's best interest to fund it to be free. Which is, as it seems to be, how things have turned out. Happy endings.

Except for the part where I can't actually do any work in Eclipse right now. 😞
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

edit:
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

I would like to put a porta potty on your front lawn then sell your house, because "hey they my porta potty".
its about the same.
If you make money on open source and don't give anything back, you are a leach.

Um: http://marketplace.eclipse.org/
If they want to invite porta potty manufacturers onto their lawn (perhaps because they have a large community of people hanging about that need porta potties?) I think that's their right. It only took me one minute to find a plugin there that wasn't open-licensed, I'm sure there are others that are open, and still others that aren't.

Also, serious question: if you take issue with what malloys is doing, why are you developing for Roku? They use a number of open tools for their firmware, and although they abide by the terms of the licenses for the tools they use and do post the sources, you can't replace the firmware because it is cryptographically signed, and thus you can't load your own code.

I like OSS, I've run linux hardware alongside Windows machines and Apples for years and I put certain bits of my code out as GPL and BSD licensed(when it makes sense to). But I don't have the ideological fixation that everyone else's code has to be open too. I am glad to see malloys get a paycheck for his work, and for the Roku development community to (hopefully soon) have access to such a useful tool, apparently with official support now.

BTW, Hi mig! You probably wouldn't remember me, but I was a forum mod back in the wa3 days and hung about lol picking up code tips (and new swears) from you and the other gurus :). Long time no see!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
migmigmig
Visitor

@manoflinux: I still disagree completely. If Eclipse has published their open source with a license that says "please use us" then I'm not going to get mad at someone for using Eclipse in accordance to the licence the Eclipse team requires.

In those terms, I did the *exact* same thing in my last job: I was the founding engineer for Songbird, which is an open source media player with a similar large scale plugin architecture. The main goal for Songbird is to get as many users and developers as possible, not to try to extort money from anybody making money off of it.

In general, people who scream about money befouling open source aren't people who actually get paid to write software.

ps: Hi, gonzotek!
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

No one is having the same issue?? I'm having it on three machines, so can't be just me can it?

The selected wizard could not be started.
Plug-in com.domhain.brightscript.plugin was unable to load class com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.wizards.newproject.BrightScriptProjectWizard.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.domhain.brightscript.plugin (228).

Anyone have ANY idea who to contact about this? I'd really love to have this back, trying to work with BrightScript is kinda like caveman coding without some of the benefits of this plug in.

Thanks!
Bud
0 Kudos