Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
royit
Visitor

Re: Eclipse plugin for Brightscript

The BrightScript Jedit mode file is very good. It is a great tool to use in place of the Eclipse plugin.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:

The only thing I could really use, and I don't know if the Eclipse plugin even does this, is keep track of dependencies, for instance, if I want to move a piece of code to a new project, then all the dependant code could come along with it, and a few other things like that (select a function, press a key to see calling functions and dependent functions...). Those would be real time savers if it supports that functionality or similar.

- Joel

The eclipse plugin doesn't yet have the "copy/move dependent code (as an option to a copy/move)" feature, but that sounds like a good idea, so I'll add it to the to-do list.

The "select a function and request to see calling functions and dependent functions" feature already exists in the plugin (it's 50% native to eclipse/50% part of the plugin) - in the context pop-up menu (or search menu) after first highlighting the function name.

BTW, glad you guys find the jedit mode file useful - it's only syntax coloring/highlighting (which is easy to do relative to everything else in a coding environment), but most of us find that a very useful first step.
Of course, the eclipse plugin is a lot more than that, and will continue to grow in capabilities.

Cheers
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

Just in case anyone interested in the plugin missed the new thread, Roku has announced the release the beta version of the eclipse plugin:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42578

Cheers
0 Kudos
MidnightJava
Visitor

Thanks. Is there a user guide or help info somewhere? Maybe I'm missing something, but the only features I see are syntax highlighting and outlining. Also I have a dozen or so error markers in a Brightscript program that's been running fine. I thought there might be a Preferences setting for Brightscript version compliance, but I just see settings for syntax highlighting and folding.
0 Kudos
MidnightJava
Visitor

I installed the only thing I see at the specified update site, with or without Group by Category enabled. It's Brightscript Core version 1.0.0.201108031520. I was able to convert my project to a Brightscript project; but other than folding and highlighting in the editor, I don't see how to access any of the other capabilities discussed in this thread. And as I mentioned, I'm getting error markers in Brightscrpt code that's been running fine for months.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"MidnightJava" wrote:
I installed the only thing I see at the specified update site, with or without Group by Category enabled. It's Brightscript Core version 1.0.0.201108031520. I was able to convert my project to a Brightscript project; but other than folding and highlighting in the editor, I don't see how to access any of the other capabilities discussed in this thread. And as I mentioned, I'm getting error markers in Brightscrpt code that's been running fine for months.

Re: Feature set
Be sure to select and activate the BrightScript perspective - that should show the rest of the menu-based features.
Activate the BrightScript perspective via this Eclipse menu path: Window->Open Perspective->Other->BrightScript

Re: Incorrect error markers
Unfortunately, that's somewhat expected for now. The parser grammar has a few known bugs (for example, it erroneously flags code fragments with parens and brackets next to each other).
I'll be focusing on getting the parser grammar correct before moving on to new features.
To begin, I'll be ensuring that all the SDK example code is parsed correctly.
After that, for any parsing issues I'll need to see specific example code from the developers as they find them.
So if you can send specific examples, that would help.

Re: Docs/help
At present there are no in-eclipse help files (these will take time to get in place, but they're on the to-do list)
There is however, an initial "bare bones" guide to the eclipse plugin now available (see the initial post on the new thread): http://rokudev.roku.com/rokudev/eclipsePluginGuide.pdf

BTW, going forward, it's best if you post questions/suggestions/issues on the new thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42578

Cheers
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Nice! I had some free time this morning, so I tested out the beta for Eclipse that was just released. I really dig the deploy right to your Roku! Makes it really easy to test things much faster. Not sure if that was a feature before, but I wasn't aware of it. Well done! Nice to have the plugin back.

Keep the features coming, I'll happily do beta testing.

Best
Bud
0 Kudos
MidnightJava
Visitor

Hi Bud,

There's lots of comments being posted on the other thread regarding the plug-in, and this thread should be considered dead. Checkout http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42578 for the latest info on issues that have been discovered and are being worked.
0 Kudos