Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brocker
Visitor

Re: Eclipse plugin for Brightscript

Dangit Roku legal team!! Thanks for the update.

Best
Bud
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

another reason to hate lawyers 😉

so the plugin that i just installed is like not going to work??? ah c**p 😞

i guess this is why i get

The selected wizard could not be started.
Plug-in com.domhain.brightscript.plugin was unable to load class com.domhain.brightscript.plugin.wizards.newproject.BrightScriptProjectWizard.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.domhain.brightscript.plugin (767).

when i try to create a new project...

i guess then vi it is :twisted:
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

https://github.com/chooh/brightscript.vim
based on:
http://dylan.doxey.org/article/64/roku- ... ing-in-vim

Hope the official plugin is released soon...
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
rshendershot
Visitor

"malloys" wrote:
Understood - and sorry for the inconvenience.
We had hoped to have the new version well in advance of the time-out, but it didn't work out that way.
For what it's worth, the new version has no time-out, and there's no plans to have one in the plugin going forward.

So, hang on for just a little longer - the new beta release is coming very soon, in at most ... dare I say it... days? This time under the Roku banner.
We're down to the typical software release-related details (docs and legal), so no exact time promised... but we are close.

it's been 30 of them.. can you give us an update please?

-Rick
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"rshendershot" wrote:
"malloys" wrote:
Understood - and sorry for the inconvenience.
We had hoped to have the new version well in advance of the time-out, but it didn't work out that way.
For what it's worth, the new version has no time-out, and there's no plans to have one in the plugin going forward.

So, hang on for just a little longer - the new beta release is coming very soon, in at most ... dare I say it... days? This time under the Roku banner.
We're down to the typical software release-related details (docs and legal), so no exact time promised... but we are close.

it's been 30 of them.. can you give us an update please?

-Rick

Sorry, I myself hadn't heard anything new from my contacts at Roku for the last month - I just heard back from one of them a few hours ago.

I've just been told the Roku legal team has sent the approved license text, but that the Roku engineering guys orchestrating the release have been busy with other higher priority items over the last month+ (like the Roku 2 line) as well as vacation and personal matters, etc.

Unfortunately, the key person driving the release at Roku is still out for a little while longer, and will probably be busy with other higher priority projects when he gets back.
So, the bottom line is that they've made no commitment to a specific release date yet.
As soon as I know more, I'll post here.
0 Kudos
MidnightJava
Visitor

malloys, thanks for the status.

I would humbly suggest to any Roku staff who may read this that the BrightScript plug-in should be a priority also. It's one thing to have delays in releasing a product you're developing. But Roku bought a product that was on a trajectory for release some time ago, and in so doing rendered it unavailable. I think under those circumstances they should accept the responsibility for avoiding too much delay, and make it a priority to release it.
0 Kudos
rshendershot
Visitor

I also thank you for the update. In addition to the previous comment. Could they not, in the interim, allow an update to the original that simply adjusted the timeout?
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

I have to respectfully say that this seems a little outrageous to me. Why would Roku continue to handicap the very people who are trying to evangelize their product? We would never see this from Apple to their developers of iPhone/iPad apps (or Microsoft, etc). Roku isn't market saturated to any degree, so it seems very counter intuitive to me that they would not bend over backwards to get more channels out there and help out the BrightScript developers.

In reality, they took this plugin AWAY from us, and have done nothing to deliver it. When Malloys controlled the plugin, we almost always had it working. Now Roku took it over and fumbled the ball, immediately. I don't get why it's taken this long to get a VERY simple plugin available to us, it seems so very silly. What could possibly be the holdup?

Again, I mean no disrespect, just observations of a dev trying to get work done. I've moved to Visual Studio with a Bat file that renames *.vb to *.brs which seems to work "fairly" well. But I am lucky to have a copy of Visual Studio, what about those folks who can't afford Visual Studio or folks who like color coding??

Please Roku team, step up, work a couple extra hours and get this done.

Best
Bud
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You can't just set your pc date back or reinstall it in a VM?
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

what about those folks who can't afford Visual Studio or folks who like color coding??

Well, Malloy's created a Brightscript syntax highlighter for Jedit, which is what I have been using for all my development work almost a year and I'm very happy with it.
There is also a Brightscript syntax highlight for vim. Plenty of stuff for the po' man to use!

The only thing I could really use, and I don't know if the Eclipse plugin even does this, is keep track of dependencies, for instance, if I want to move a piece of code to a new project, then all the dependant code could come along with it, and a few other things like that (select a function, press a key to see calling functions and dependent functions...). Those would be real time savers if it supports that functionality or similar.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos