Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

Easy Work = Cash!

"brianb" wrote:

My goal is to get this done ASAP at a fair rate since this should take less than an hour.

I doubt this would be completed by the developer within a single hour. Best case scenario, they've been working on a grid interface and just need to copy it and plug your requirements in. Unfortunately, just getting your requirements in enough detail to correctly utilize will probably take 15 minutes. Actually putting into code and making sure channels loads correctly, 15-45 minutes if no problems are encountered and remote data is easily integrated. Testing and delivering, maybe 15 minutes.

This is of course, assuming absolutely no bugs introduced, no problem integrating with your content, and no ambiguities in your specification. The best case scenario is possibly 60 minutes. Please keep that in mind when reviewing any proposals you get.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Easy Work = Cash!

"brianb" wrote:
Here is what I need : this should take you less than 1 hour of your time.
Let me know a reasonable price and I'll pay via paypal upon proof this works glitch free!

I will supply all the graphics in a folder that will go on my server.

I will give you access to my server so this can be done correctly. I will handle my own storage and server.

I need the Simple Grid with my logo (I'll supply this to you in the correct sd and hd sizes) in the center just like the Netflix layout.
I need 3 current rows that can be expanded to more titles and rows at will by xml without having to resubmit this package to Roku

Row 1 will have 3 to 5 DVD boxes (supplied in a folder that will be on my server) that go to "info pages"
I will supply the info. I need the info to be a readable size on a dark blue background.

Netflix had a "search" dvd size box that goes to search to I need mine to go to "info pages" with a "go back" option - which will take you to the main Grid.

Row 2 Will be 3 DVD boxes that will be linked to separate Simple Video Players. Again I will provide the graphics and videos on my server
All xml to be replaceable and expandable!

Row 3 will be the same as row 2 with a different header - with the same action as above!

That's it!

My goal is to get this done ASAP at a fair rate since this should take less than an hour.

What would you charge to deliver this to me as my "application package" I can submit to Roku as a published package.

Please let me know a reasonable price IF YOU CAN DELIVER THIS WITH NO GLITCHES - Working!
You may want to post mock up screens (see the MockUpTool.pptx document in the sdk), to help potential developers understand your requirements. Example XML would also probably help.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
timber03
Visitor

"brianb" wrote:
Here is what I need : this should take you less than 1 hour of your time.
Let me know a reasonable price and I'll pay via paypal upon proof this works glitch free!

I will supply all the graphics in a folder that will go on my server.

I will give you access to my server so this can be done correctly. I will handle my own storage and server.

I need the Simple Grid with my logo (I'll supply this to you in the correct sd and hd sizes) in the center just like the Netflix layout.
I need 3 current rows that can be expanded to more titles and rows at will by xml without having to resubmit this package to Roku

Row 1 will have 3 to 5 DVD boxes (supplied in a folder that will be on my server) that go to "info pages"
I will supply the info. I need the info to be a readable size on a dark blue background.

Netflix had a "search" dvd size box that goes to search to I need mine to go to "info pages" with a "go back" option - which will take you to the main Grid.

Row 2 Will be 3 DVD boxes that will be linked to separate Simple Video Players. Again I will provide the graphics and videos on my server

Row 3 will be the same as row 2 with a different header - with the same action as above!

That's it!

What would you charge to deliver this to me as my "application package" I can submit to Roku as a published package.

Please let me know a reasonable price IF YOU CAN DELIVER THIS WITH NO GLITCHES - Working!

Brian, I have to be honest with you about something...
You and I spoke a couple weeks back re: An estimate for this project and you specified it would take 2 hours without even showing me what you wanted. I then took a look and realized you are asking for an extremely personalized approach. Further conversations added user registration, server stats, the whole nine yards. The scope of the project increased with every communication. Furthermore, I got the sense that if there was the slightest glitch, whether it be within my control or not, you would hold payment.

Obviously, you've been testing this yourself for a week or more and you've probably spent a lot more than 2 hours time on it or you wouldn't be sending this.
If you really want this to get done by someone, give the developers some credit. Telling someone that it can/should only take so long is simply not fair to the person about to do the work. and then to make such a bold statement of:
"Please let me know a reasonable price IF YOU CAN DELIVER THIS WITH NO GLITCHES - Working!"

Again, that's like saying "I'll hold you to the fire and/or not pay if it doesn't work right".

This was not meant to be a flame but more of a friendly reminder to be more open to people on this board and you'll get more help. It sounds like you've been successful to an extent in business, but as a professional developer, I can tell you, I walk away from deals like this for obvious reasons.
Channels created
--------------------
REDBULLTV - RedBull's online sports channel. All sports, all the time.
JTV - Jewelry TV

Other Projects/Creations
-----------------------------
http://www.socialnetworkinc.com - Your Community. Connected.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"timber03" wrote:
Brian, I have to be honest with you about something...
You and I spoke a couple weeks back re: An estimate for this project and you specified it would take 2 hours without even showing me what you wanted. I then took a look and realized you are asking for an extremely personalized approach. Further conversations added user registration, server stats, the whole nine yards. The scope of the project increased with every communication. Furthermore, I got the sense that if there was the slightest glitch, whether it be within my control or not, you would hold payment.

I wasn't going to say anything publically, but since it looks like something similar happened to timber03...

Brian and I also had a very similar conversation via email, and he scheduled a call with me to discuss. When I called him, he told me that something had come up, and he'd need to call me back later. About 30 minutes later, he sent me an email saying he'd need to reschedule. I told him that would be fine, and to let me know when. That was the last time I heard from him until he posted this thread asking for the same thing again.

I don't know if he's serious or not, but he's certainly not very professional...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

I've been in business a long time, over 40 years. When someone comes into my shop and and tells me how long a job is going to take, rather than asking me how long, I tell them I'm not interested. If you don't know how to do it yourself, you don't know how long it will take. You should be asking for estimates, not offering to pay for a set amount of time if you really want someone to do the work.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos