Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrosamond
Visitor

ECP inaccessible

Model: 3100X
Software: 5.2 build 3264

I'm trying to determine if a recent Roku update has caused the external control protocol to stop working, or whether there's something I need to do to re-enable it. I noticed that I had to re-enable developer mode using the sequence on the remote (Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right) and then create a new password for the required rokudev user account.

In the past I was able to browse to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8060 and be able to view the output of the ECP, or http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8060/query/apps to view a list of all channels, but now the page never loads.

Ideas? Is this a bug?

Thank you!

Rob
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: ECP inaccessible

No, ECP is working somewhat in 5.2 (i won't say "is working fine" since 5.2 muddled the old working stuff - but it is working, mostly).

I'll venture a guess: the IP lease of your Roku has changed. Check in player Settings what current IP is, then check your other device is on the same network. Also consider rebooting Roku or the router for a "fresh start". Ping it. Telnet to 8060.
0 Kudos
rrosamond
Visitor

The Roku's IP is assigned via DHCP with an address reservation on the DHCP server, essentially making the IP static.

I can communicate with the Roku on port 80, but 8060 hangs. Other ideas? Thanks!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"rrosamond" wrote:
The Roku's IP is assigned via DHCP with an address reservation on the DHCP server, essentially making the IP static.
I can communicate with the Roku on port 80, but 8060 hangs. Other ideas? Thanks!

My Rokus are in the same way, with static DHCP leases, no issues.
Anything funky with your firewall? Did you try rebooting Roku *and* the router?
Are remote control apps (iOS or Android) - or http://remoku.tv/ - able to control Roku player (they use ECP)?
0 Kudos
rrosamond
Visitor

The Roku has been power cycled several times in troubleshooting all of this.

Rebooting the router is not an option because the Roku is attached to a production network providing streaming video delivery to thousands of users, and the actual router controls the network connectivity for an entire college campus (it's a Juniper router, FWIW). The Roku itself is connected directly to an HP ProCurve gigabit managed switch, which provides connectivity to a datacenter in production.

Port 8060 was accessible just fine before a Roku software update it seems. I can't imagine it being a network issue. The Roku had been powered off since June 2013 or so, then fired up again this week. It worked this week, and then the upgrade happened.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Sure, we don't want to reboot the Juniper, i assumed you are on SOHO kind of router/gateway.
I suspect there is some firewall/filtering problem, some rule was implemented that causes that. To bisect where problem is, depending on what's feasible, i'd either temporarily move Roku to another network for a test or connect computer directly to the HP switch. Point being to figure where problem lies - is it the network, client (PC/mobile) or Roku box. So far i think Roku is least likely to be the culprit.

ps. i noticed you said 5.2.3264 - my 4200 has 5.2.3267 installed on 11/24 - don't know what's the latest build for 3100 but if it is lagging behind, might be related to connectivity problem.
0 Kudos
rrosamond
Visitor

Great suggestion - I'll try that when I'm back in the office next week. Thanks. Will report back with my findings!
0 Kudos