Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casolorz
Roku Guru

Does ECP Input allow me to send any commands I want?

As I mentioned on another thread, I want to hire someone to make a Roku channel for my Android app. I'm trying to figure out how the two will communicate with each other. Seems to me like ECP has an Input command (https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... lAPI-input) that will allow custom messages but the developers I'm discussing this with seem to disagree. Am I reading the documentation wrong? 

My idea in this case is that the phone will launch the channel using ECP and then send a custom Input command with some basic information of what to do (like play a video, skip forward, request playback state) and then the Roku channel will respond to the app on a web server the app will have running for it. Does that make sense or is this not possible with brightscript? 

Thanks. 
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Does ECP Input allow me to send any commands I want?

0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roInput

Yeah I saw that but since I'm not a Roku developer and I'm trying to hire some and they all tell me it is impossible, I just want to make sure I am not crazy. It is possible to send custom events, right? that is how I am reading the documentation. 
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Perhaps they haven't kept up on changes since Roku Firmware 3.0 was released.

Since Firmware version 3.0:
• input enables a developer to send custom events to their Brightscript application. It takes a user defined list of name-value pairs sent as query string uri parameters....

blah blah blah...
I'd suggest perhaps the developers you are working with have never used this feature before - but pointing them repeatedly to the documentation which shows how to implement it ought to help get it done.  Also keep in mind for Scenegraph this might need to be done in a task thread as it involves getting data over the network.  I haven't tested it in scenegraph.  If roInput is blocked or deprecated for scenegraph then you might be in trouble.
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Thank you, that is very useful to know. 
0 Kudos