Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Does DrawRotatedObject() have poor performance?

"EnTerr" wrote:
why do people remember 2XD and 2XS but regularly forget 2HD?!

I don't think we forget about the Roku 2 HD and the Roku LT 2400, we just overlook them. They had the shortest lifespans of any other Roku players, so the likelihood of there being a ton of them out there is low enough that it's probably safe to overlook them.

With that said.. looks like there's the potential I was wrong about the new Roku 2 and Roku 3. According to this chart, they don't have OpenGL, so maybe someone does need to test that out... (assuming OpenGL support is the requirement for arbitrary rotation).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Great, another Roku "family" to test against, why remove OpenGL? Surely that's an oversight on the table! 😞
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

What about the TV that is not listed as having open gl
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
What about the TV that is not listed as having open gl

You've got a TV right? Does it rotate arbitrary? without openGL? or are you saying the list is wrong?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Let me clarify that. I think TheEndless has one perhaps he can test it. I like the arbitrary rotation. Don't like having to emulate it with region frames
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
With that said.. looks like there's the potential I was wrong about the new Roku 2 and Roku 3. According to this chart, they don't have OpenGL, so maybe someone does need to test that out... (assuming OpenGL support is the requirement for arbitrary rotation).

Eh. I wouldn't put stock in the 4/29 update of the table. First, there are couple of mistakes in the newly added columns for 2015 Roku2 and 2015 Roku3 (wrong model model#, indicating "yes" for Voice Capable Remote for Search on 2015-Roku2). Second, the person who did that edit has history of imprecise language (i.e. omissions/incorrect) in the docs.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Call me crazy but perhaps someone with "Roku Engineering" after their name could give a definitive list of does dat do and does dat don't, including the most recent boxes -and while they're at it, how about available 2D graphic memory for the new boxes.

*Crickets*

( I have an awesome Hollywood Edge "outdoors" SFX loop. Too bad you can't paste sounds in here. Just imagine you're listening to it.)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
The "gaming_hardware" capability refers to the ability to connect to a motion-enabled remote. In other words, the unit supports a WiFi Direct or Bluetooth remote. It doesn't change depending on what type of remote is actually being used. As far as I know, there isn't currently any easy way to detect whether OpenGL is implemented. If you really wanted to reliably detect whether nonorthogonal rotations are supported, I suppose you could rotate a small bitmap by 45 degrees and use GetByteArray to check whether it worked, although that's pretty ugly.

Thank you for the clarification on "gaming_hardware"!
Separately, I thought of checking on #2400 and it indeed returns False for gaming_hardware - which makes sense, i think it doesn't have the BT chip - but has OpenGLES.

Testing for rotation through ifDraw2D.GetByteArray() is ingenious, if somewhat evil. I suppose testing for performance can be done in analogous way, i.e. benchmark how long does it take to do a few hundred DrawRotatedObject() on the particular player and then branch out depending on result.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Let me clarify that. I think TheEndless has one perhaps he can test it. I like the arbitrary rotation. Don't like having to emulate it with region frames

The TV only rotates in 90 degree increments.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos