Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Different Error Message

Recently started getting a different error message than I have not seen in past. While debugging app, I start a stream and print the video.state to the debugger. I get the buffering message for approximately 3-4 seconds then it changed from buffering to error. I printed the error message 

Network error.  This could be caused by any of the following problems: (1) The server is down or unresponsive. (2) The server is unreachable. (3) There is a network setup issue on the client.

The only way to get any stream to play after this is reboot the roku. I know for a fact the server is not down or unreachable and the network setup is correct.
Any ideas as to what creates the error?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Different Error Message

It sounds like the message is a network timeout.  Rather than reboot the roku when this happens, press HOME and switch the network connection type to see if it connects again.  What firmware are you on right now?
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
It sounds like the message is a network timeout.  Rather than reboot the roku when this happens, press HOME and switch the network connection type to see if it connects again.  What firmware are you on right now?

Just updated to 7.70 4135-06 in last 48 hours or so. I don't know if  error occurred prior to that since not exactly sure  time of update.  When error occurs, it doesn't really freeze or lock up the box. If I close the error out I can continue to move to other areas of the app and select another stream but I get the same area. I haven't tried to reset the connection yet but will do that.  I do know just going out of the app and back in still produces the error. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"btpoole" wrote:
"destruk" wrote:

Just updated to 7.70 4135-06 in last 48 hours or so. I don't know if  error occurred prior to that since not exactly sure  time of update.  When error occurs, it doesn't really freeze or lock up the box. If I close the error out I can continue to move to other areas of the app and select another stream but I get the same area. I haven't tried to reset the connection yet but will do that.  I do know just going out of the app and back in still produces the error. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, got the error message, hit home button, settings and connections. I updated the connection. Went back into the app and attempted to start a string. Buffered for approx 2 seconds, got the error message again. Only way to clear this is to reboot. Once I reboot, go into app stream starts no problems.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You'll need Roku's help on this one.  Can you provide a stream url for testing?  Is it a local file or hosted at a different location?  And about how long does it play before failing -- random?
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
You'll need Roku's help on this one.  Can you provide a stream url for testing?  Is it a local file or hosted at a different location?  And about how long does it play before failing -- random?

Thanks destruk. I have tried multiple streams all with same result. Once the error message is hit, only way I can get a stream to play is reboot. I know it's getting the url to the stream, I can echo that to my debugger, it enters my execute play as normal,  buffers for approx 2-3 seconds then error message again. 
0 Kudos

Are you manipulating the video’s node control field (stop / pause) BEFORE it is playing anything ?

It’s a known bug on older hardwares (before Roku 3) - for example, if you set video.control = "stop" before stream is started, then you get the following error:

Network error.  This could be caused by any of the following problems: (1) The server is down or unresponsive. (2) The server is unreachable. (3) There is a network setup issue on the client.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If that was the case wouldn't the error occur every time prior to playback?  I suppose perhaps if you're setting it to "stop" after the error state is reported that could count.
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Sorry for late response.  Thank you for the info. I checked video state and nothing odd happening. It enters the execute function to start the stream, begins the buffer status for approx 3 seconds or so and then throws the error message.  Exiting the app thru Home makes no difference, actually have to reboot. I am going to do little more looking into it, make sure I don't have a callback or something I'm not seeing that maybe effecting the video. Thanks again
0 Kudos