Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhkingatl
Channel Surfer

Developing on Chromebook

I've got a really dumb question. My primary computer at home is a Chromebook. My old PC took the eternal celestial dirt-nap quite awhile ago, and since I've been able to do most everything on the Chromebook, I've never gone back.

I'd love to develop a Roku channel, but I don't think I can pull down the SDK in usable form on that computer. Any suggestions (short of running out to buy a new PC)?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Developing on Chromebook

Can your chromebook zip and unzip files, and display pdf files? If yes, and if it has access to say, 'notepad' or msdos 'edit' then yes you have everything you need to develop a roku channel with it. If you have a roku device to play with, then you are all set.
0 Kudos
mhkingatl
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Can your chromebook zip and unzip files, and display pdf files? If yes, and if it has access to say, 'notepad' or msdos 'edit' then yes you have everything you need to develop a roku channel with it. If you have a roku device to play with, then you are all set.

I can unzip without a problem, though I've had a problem finding a utility that will create zip files. It sounds like if I can create them, I'll be all set.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Apparently if you toggle the developer switch (if yours has one), you get a shell.

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/dev ... chromebook
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

If your computer isn't capable of creating zip files, but you have access to a server, it shouldn't be too hard to create a web page/php script that uploads files from your computer to the server then creates a zip file using php's ZipArchive class that you can download back to your computer, all done from your web browser.

EDIT: If you do a Google search for: 'upload and zip files online' you'll find several free web sites that do online zip file compression.
0 Kudos