Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kidcohen
Visitor

DeveloperSDK Download Issues

I have downloaded the RokuSDK and unzipped the file, but it is set for windows 32bit and the computer I use is a windows 64bit and it will only open quickly then close. What can I do so I can start developing Roku channels for channels I operate outside of Roku?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: DeveloperSDK Download Issues

Hi,

Our SDK doesn't care what version of windows you use. The SDK is really just a collection of example files that you load on your Roku. All code compilation and execution is done inside the Roku device, not on your computer.

There are a few binaries there like BifTool.exe but that is for creating images to show while fast-forwarding through movies, and is not really required for your channel.

Just look in RokuSDK\examples\source for example source code.

- Joel
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: DeveloperSDK Download Issues

"kidcohen" wrote:
I have downloaded the RokuSDK and unzipped the file, but it is set for windows 32bit and the computer I use is a windows 64bit and it will only open quickly then close. What can I do so I can start developing Roku channels for channels I operate outside of Roku?

What do you mean "it is set for windows 32bit", and where are you getting this information? It shouldn't make any difference whether you're on a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows OS. Which version of WIndows are you using, and how did you un-zip the file? And what is it you are trying to open, the top-level un-zipped RokuSDK directory, or a particular file/folder within the directory, and what program are you trying to open it with?

I just downloaded and un-zipped it on my 64-bit WIndows 7 machine using Windows Explorer (right-click>Extract All...>Extract, and everything appears okay).

The only consideration I'm aware of with the SDK and Windows is that the un-zipped folder contains some subfolders and files within that are set to read-only mode, so before doing anything with them, reset the read-only attribute of the top-level RokuSDK folder using Windows Explorer: right-click>Properties>click on the Read Only box to clear it>click OK>click Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files>click OK.
0 Kudos