Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Custom Keyboard - Listen For ECP Lit

Hi, so for instance Vudu doesn't use roKeyboardScreen, but you can still type in text on your phone and have it enter in to their search field.

There is documentation for how to send a charachter under the External Control Guide. For example http://192.168.1.134:8060/keypress/Lit_r would send the "r" character. But is there any way to listen for that input? I can't find anything and maybe the channels that do this without the roKeyboardScreen are NDK channels. It'd be really nice to have access to this in Brightscript so that people could build more customized keyboards.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Custom Keyboard - Listen For ECP Lit

roUniversalControlEvent comes to mind if talking roScreen. Also avail via roImageCanvasEvent, ostensibly in ro*ScreenEvent's too.

You were able to do that with getInt() before fw7.2 but there was some overlap between releasing remote keys and 'defghijklmnopq' (`chr(i) for i in range(100,114)`; TheEndless described a hacky-yet-working workaround elsewhere) - now in 2.7 they added extra methods. Don't know if they fixed the issue where Q and Z were indistinguishable though.

PS. Vudu is very much NDK. One of my wishes when rubbing my Roku remote Smiley LOL is that YouTube should add ECP keyboard support instead of the passive-aggressive banner that we should use their mobile app. Not necessarily a pipe dream mind you... it took Hulu a few years (and complete re-write of the app) to eventually support ECP kbd. ... But then again, Hulu does not have an Android axe to grind
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Oh wow, I didn't even see the new methods in 7.2. There is a getchar() that does exactly what I'm asking...

I wonder if any of this new stuff will allow for multiple simultaneous button presses. 😛
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:
Oh wow, I didn't even see the new methods in 7.2. There is a getchar() that does exactly what I'm asking...

Btw, found the pre-7.2 "theEndless contraption": viewtopic.php?f=34&t=94615&p=530111#p530111

I wonder if any of this new stuff will allow for multiple simultaneous button presses. 😛

Yeah, keep dreaming 8-)
That's happening right after they expose the motion sensors to B/S, which i figure is scheduled for right after Godot's arrival.

Unless the Co does that just to spite me what i say, in which case (reverse-psychology mind-trick): i personally guarantee this will never ever happen! I also guarantee they will never add a .getSource() method which would have allowed apps to distinguish between 2 concurently used remotes (or remote apps) viewtopic.php?f=34&t=91713&p=514907#p514907
0 Kudos