Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adscott
Visitor

Custom Closed Captions Dialog

I want to use the '*' functionality to bring up a dialog window during playback, but cant seem to find anything about if this is possible and the best way to bind the asterisk key.
No matter what I do, the built in Closed Captions dialog window still opens.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Basil
Roku Guru

Re: Custom Closed Captions Dialog

"adscott" wrote:
I want to use the '*' functionality to bring up a dialog window during playback, but cant seem to find anything about if this is possible and the best way to bind the asterisk key.
No matter what I do, the built in Closed Captions dialog window still opens.

Any ideas?

That button can function different for different channels. What channel you talking' 'bout?
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
adscott
Visitor

hey Basil,

This is a custom channel/app I'm developing for a client. The customer wanted to use the '*' to allow users to select their language of choice.
The issue is the captions are not embedded as SRT nor 608.. but literally are just copies of the movies with the captions overlayed.

Currently, we are asking the users to select their desired language for subtitles prior to playback. However, because when a user selects the desired language we are simply choosing the correct movie (mp4) to watch, implementing this with the ClosedCaption Renderer doesn't seem possible.

The closed caption configuration doesn't work this way (as I understand). so my thought was a custom dialog window that pops when clicking the asterisk and show the users the options. Pausing the video and capturing the current playback time stamp, and resuming with the new video (based on the chosen language).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"adscott" wrote:
The closed caption configuration doesn't work this way (as I understand). so my thought was a custom dialog window that pops when clicking the asterisk and show the users the options. Pausing the video and capturing the current playback time stamp, and resuming with the new video (based on the chosen language).

If you're using roVideoScreen that won't be possible, you can't repurpose the * button there. You could do that with roVideoPlayer, but the better solution is to get the content provider to deliver proper CC data.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You cannot override the * button when using the roVideoScreen. You could implement your own custom player using roVideoPlayer and roImageCanvas or roScreen, which would allow you to assign custom functionality to the * button, but would also require you to custom code everything else, including the UI and trick play functionality.

A better option, if you don't have control over the CC implementation, may be to add the language selection to the springboard screen instead, so the user chooses it prior to launching playback.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
adscott
Visitor

Thanks to all for the information! Affirmed the course of action needed.
0 Kudos